OU Health Stephenson Cancer Center is Oklahoma's only National Cancer Institute (NCI)-Designated Cancer Center, and one of only 71 NCI-Designated Cancer Centers in the United States. This highly competitive accreditation ensures that our patients receive the highest standard of care and have access to the most advanced cancer treatment options.
At the Stephenson Cancer Center, we have an exciting new job opportunity that could be right for you! The Oncology Research RN
position performs professional nursing duties such as physician assistance, sample collection, information gathering, patient follow-up, data collection, medication administration, collaboration, patient education, emergency response, patient preparation, and sedation.
Learn more about the Stephenson Cancer Center's Clinical Trials Office here. Essential Duties:
Job Requirements Required Education:
- Assists physician during the examination as needed.
- Prepares patient for examination. Ensures that all information is available to the physician.
- Collects samples from patients to include but not limited to blood, urine, etc.
- Prepares samples for analysis or shipment.
- Takes and records various readings to include but not limited to heart and respiratory rate, blood pressure, weight, body temperature, etc.
- Makes or follows up on patient appointments.
- Answers routine questions from patients, family, or caregivers.
- Provides educational information to patients, family, or caregivers.
- Collects all laboratory reports, data, and records.
- Under direction of physician or other medical personnel, administers medication to patients.
- Collaborates with other healthcare professionals to provide efficient quality patient care.
- Responds to and intervenes in emergency situations to include but not limited to anaphylaxis, hypoglycemia, hypotension, hemorrhage, respiratory distress, etc.
- Directs and evaluates the work of some personnel to include but not limited to Clinic Clerks, Medical Assistants, and other Nurses.
- Acts as a lead employee when work performed requires little or no direct supervision.
- Assists with conscious sedation of patients.
- Performs various duties as needed to successfully fulfill the function of the position.
Associate's Degree in Nursing Experience:
Certifications or Licenses
- Advanced knowledge of techniques needed to diagnose and treat illness or injury related issues, to includes but not limited to treatment alternatives, drug properties and interactions, and preventive health care measures.
- Advanced knowledge of (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA).
- Ability to give full attention to what is being said and understand the points being made.
- Ability to ask questions when appropriate.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to deal with staff, physicians, visitors, vendors, and patients in a tactful, diplomatic, and pleasant manner. Ability to work in stressful situations and meet deadlines.
- Must be detail oriented and organized.
- Ability to work independently and as a team member.
- Basic math and computer skills.
- Detail oriented for accuracy of data and information.
- Well organized and ability to handle multiple projects and deadlines.
- Ability to build and maintain rapport with students, faculty, staff, and providers. Ability to solve problems.
- State of Oklahoma Registered Nurse Licensure
- Basic Life Support (BLS) certification.
- C ardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) certification.
Bachelor's Degree in Nursing Working Conditions:
- Physical: Standing for prolonged periods. Regular bending, stooping, reaching, pulling and pushing.
- Environmental: Frequent exposure to odors and exposure to human blood, blood products, bodily fluids and potential exposure to infections or diseases.
The University of Oklahoma is committed to achieving a diverse, equitable, and inclusive university community by recognizing each person's unique contributions, background, and perspectives. The University of Oklahoma strives to cultivate a sense of belonging and emotional support for all, recognizing that fostering an inclusive environment for all is vital in the pursuit of academic and inclusive excellence in all aspects of our institutional mission. Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
The University of Oklahoma, in compliance with all applicable federal and state laws and regulations, does not discriminate based on race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity, gender expression, age, religion, disability, political beliefs, or status as a veteran in any of its policies, practices, or procedures. This includes, but is not limited to, admissions, employment, financial aid, housing, services in educational programs or activities, and health care services that the University operates or provides.