Empowerment Academy is hiring a School Nurse to serve our students beginning in the 2023/2024 School Year. Salary:
$70,000-$85,000Why Our School is Special
Empowerment Academy is a highly successful charter school that truly supports its teachers and staff. We serve a student mix that is among the most diverse in America while enjoying the cultural vibrance of Jersey City, Hoboken and New York City. If this appeals to you, then apply today! We have achieved academic success without burning out our staff by meshing an effective education program with effective staff supports and professional development.
We truly value our faculty and work hard to control other costs so we can focus our resources on supporting them. In fact, throughout our history, we have annually increased faculty salaries by more than at other public schools and now, among those with similar experience, OUR FACULTY MEMBERS ARE AMONG THE HIGHEST PAID IN NEW JERSEY.
New Jersey charter schools ARE public schools. Our staff is part of the Pension in New Jersey. Requirements
- The Candidate needs to possess School Nurse certification in New Jersey. (We would consider someone with an RN/BSN who is looking to enroll in a School Nurse Certification program.)
- School Nurse experience preferred.
- Excellence in communication and organization skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with students, families, staff and community with diverse backgrounds.
- Demonstrated aptitude or competence for assigned responsibilities.
- Self-Starter and someone who takes initiative.
- Carrying out written orders of the medical home and standing orders of the school physician;
- Conducting health screenings which include height, weight, blood pressure, hearing, vision and scoliosis;
- Monitoring vital signs and general health status for emergent issues for students suspected of being under the influence of alcohol and controlled dangerous substances;
- Maintaining student health records;
- Recommending to the school principal those students who shall not be admitted to or retained in the school building based on a parent's failure to provide evidence of the child's immunization according to specified schedules;
- Annually reviewing student immunization records to confirm with the medical home that the medical condition for the exemption from immunization continues to be applicable;
- Recommending to the school principal exclusion of students who show evidence of communicable disease;
- Directing and supervising the emergency administration of epinephrine and training school staff designated to serve as delegates;
- Administering asthma medication through use of a nebulizer;
- Directing and supervising the health services activities of any school staff to whom the certified School Nurse has delegated a nursing task;
- When appropriate, transmitting a summary of relevant health and medical information to a Child Study Team;
- Writing and updating, at least annually, the individualized health care plan and the individualized emergency healthcare plan for students' medical needs and instructing staff as appropriate;
- Implementing and assisting in the development of healthcare procedures for students in the event of an emergency;
- Instructing teachers on communicable disease and other health concerns;
- Providing other nursing services consistent with the School Nurse's certification;
- Collaborating with staff in grade-level and department planning meetings, and in professional development activities;
- Helping with school-wide activities and providing supervision of students during class, breaks, and meals when needed;
- Any other tasks dictated by the School Principal related to student health and wellness;
- Assisting with tasks necessary for the successful and orderly functioning of the school (such as hallway supervision, arrival/departure transitions, field trips, and other such duties as the school leadership may request from staff); and
- Participating in events outside of normal school hours such as family nights, student performances, field trips, and teacher-parent conferences.
- Health Care Plan (Medical, Dental & Vision)
- Retirement Plan (401k, IRA)
- Paid Time Off (Vacation, Sick & Public Holidays)
- Family Leave (Maternity, Paternity)
- Short Term & Long Term Disability
- Training & Development
As an equal opportunity employer, Empowerment Academy hires without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, or disability.