Health Services Department/Licensed Vocational Nurse (LVN)
Health Services Department
School Nurse (RN); Principal; Director of Health Services
Open Until Filled
LENGTH OF WORK YEAR:
Assist the campus RN in implementing a comprehensive program of health services for campus. Provide direct health services to students. Assist the campus RN in promoting health education and preventive health practices for students.
High School Diploma
Current license to practice vocational nursing issued by the Texas Board of Nursing
Certified by Texas Department of State Health Services to conduct vision, hearing and spinal screening
CPR, First Aid, and Clinical Nursing Skills for acute and chronic conditions
Certified by the UTRGV Boarder Health Office to conduct the Texas Risk Assessment for Type 2 diabetes
Strong organizational, communication, interpersonal and computer skills
Ability to implement policies and procedures
Knowledge of community, medical and health care referral resources.
Two years nursing experience preferred
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
* Provide temporary and emergency care for sick and injured students or staff according to district policy andprocedures.
* Provide direct nursing care as outlined in IHP's developed by the campus RN and procedures established by the Director of Health Services
* Maintains accurate student health records, including immunization, medication administration, and individual student treatment records;
* Serve as health advocate for students.
* Notify parents of accident or illness as needed and secure medical care for students in emergency cases (if parents or emergency contact cannot be reached).
* Administer medication according to district policy and procedures.
* Perform state mandated screenings as directed by the RN and in compliance with the Texas Department of State Health Services, Texas Education Agency, and district policy.
* Communicate with parents regarding individual students as directed by the campus RN and makes referrals as necessary.
* Educates faculty or staff as needed on health-related topics as directed by the campus RN
* When directed by the principal or the campus RN, the LVN provides guidance and instruction to unlicensed assistive personnel on health-related tasks.
* Assist the campus RN in implementing the campus health program and perform related tasks and duties.
* Participate in campus health and wellness education and provide health education to individuals and groups as directed by the RN.
* Provide health counseling and instruction to individual students.
* Provide relevant focused assessment and guidance, serving as a resource to staff and assisting them with accessing and effectively utilizing community resources for health.
* Serve alongside the campus RN as health liaison between school, physicians, parents, and community.
* Perform focused assessments and make appropriate referrals, collaborating with the campus RN and working with students, teachers, parents, and medical health care professionals as needed.
* Participate in Admission, Review, and Dismissal Committee, crisis team, and school committees (when the campus RN is not able to attend).
* Report suspected child abuse as mandated by state law and district policy.
* Make home visits to help with student health problems as necessary with permission of principal and as directed by the campus RN.
* Communicate regularly with the campus RN, principal and Director of Health Services coordinator regarding health service issues.
* Review and evaluate immunization records and make necessary referrals for state immunization compliance, as directed by the campus RN.
* Enforce procedures to ensure proper program administration according to district policy.
* Compile, maintain, and file all reports, records, and other documents required, including clinic records and accurate updated health records on all students.
* Conduct inventory of supplies and equipment in the clinic as directed by the campus RN.
* Comply with policies established by federal and state laws, Texas Department of State Health Services, State Board of Education, board policy in health services area and the Texas Board of Nursing.
* Perform routine AED maintenance and monthly calibration of equipment and document and report results to the campus RN.
* Report potential health and safety hazards to the campus RN and principal.
* Comply with all district and campus routines and regulations.
* Be proficient and document all applicable student health visits and information in an electronic health software application as established by the Director of Health Services.
* Maintain certification in CPR and AED.
* Maintain health screener status for vision, hearing, spinal and TRAT2D.
* Model behavior that is professional, ethical, and responsible.
* Performs all duties in a safe manner to avoid injury to oneself and/or to others.
* Performs other related duties as assigned.
* Thermometer, glucometer, audiometer, otoscope, oxygen cylinder, automated external defibrillator (AED), pulse oxymeter, sphygmomanometer, vision screening equipment, thermoscan, basic clinic equipment, personal computer, and copier, scanner and fax.
Mental Demands/Physical Demands/Environmental Factors:
* Maintain emotional control under stress; exposure to bacteria and communicable diseases
The foregoing statements describe the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job and are not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties that may be assigned or skills that may be required.
Edinburg CISD does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability or age in its programs or activities and provides equal access to the Boy Scouts and other designated youth groups. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the nondiscrimination policies: Title IX issues: Robert Vina, email@example.com ,Coordinator of Personnel/Legal Issues, ADA/504 issues: Sofia Hinojosa, firstname.lastname@example.org , Director of Student & Social Services, 411 N. 8th Avenue, Edinburg, TX 78539, (956) 289-2300.
Edinburg CISD no discrimina por motivos de raza, color, origen nacional, sexo, discapacidad o edad en sus programas o actividades y brinda igualdad de acceso a los Boy Scouts y otros grupos juveniles designados. La siguiente persona ha sido designada para manejar consultas sobre las políticas de no discriminación Title IX issues: Robert Vina, email@example.com ,Coordinator of Personnel/Legal Issues, ADA/504 issues: Sofia Hinojosa, firstname.lastname@example.org , Director of Student & Social Services, 411 N. 8th Avenue, Edinburg, TX 78539, (956) 289-2300.