Substitute/Substitute School Nurse
1. Must have a current license as a registered nurse in New Jersey
2. Must be in good health.
3. Must have a valid, current Providers Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation/AED Certification
4. Must have a New Jersey State Approved Substitute School Nurse
To work under the supervision of a certificated School Nurse
1. Serving as a resource person to all school personnel in matters of health.
2. Providing annual (more often, if necessary) health assessment of students
• weight gain/loss records
• height records
• dental status
• growth patterns
• referrals and follow up of the same
3. Directing health care services as follows:
• administration of prescribed medication, including insulin pump therapy, as prescribed by the physician
• emergency care
• other services as specified in written policies
4. Keeping immunization records current and reporting to State and local Boards of Health.
5. Participating in communicable disease control, i.e., monitoring illnesses and TB testing of staff and reporting of same as per state regulations.
6. Providing health counseling for students, parents, and staff.
7. Participating in team meetings.
8. Advising parents or guardians of health concerns and directing them toward the proper medical personnel
9. Serving as a contact person between school and home on health issues.
10. Assisting in the isolation of sick students who are to be excluded from school.
11. Assisting in considering factors influencing the physical and emotional ) health of the school personnel and the students, and recommending improvements affecting those factors to the school nurse.
12. Understanding the basic program of good nutrition and communicating these needs to students, parents and staff.
13. Remaining abreast of current developments, trends and laws as well as contemporary interpretations of health issues.
14. Maintaining a daily log of medications, procedures, incidences, etc.
15. Recommending to the school nurse any necessary policies and procedures for health services.
Terms: As needed basis only
Rate: As determined by the Board of Education