Student Support Services/School Nurse Date Posted:
CICS Ellison Campus School Nurse - Job Description
Civitas exists to prepare graduates who become agents of change. Join us!
Apply Today https://civitasedpartners.applicantpool.com/jobs/
Reports To: Principal/Assistant Principal
Under the direction of the network and school administrative teams , the School Nurse contributes to a safe environment for the school community, promoting the physical, mental, emotional and social well being of students by providing comprehensive school health services and school wide health programming.
In addition, the School Nurse is required to reflect the school's mission and vision in interactions with students, staff, families, and stakeholders and elevate the school's image in the eyes of the community. Further, the School Nurse forms positive, professional relationships with the entire school community.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are generally representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Key Competencies/Duties:
Reflects, supports, and promotes the mission and vision of the school as well as the principles of D.E.I.:
- Maintains compliance as required by the Illinois School Code, Illinois Department of Public Health, and Chicago Public Schools for physical examination and immunization records.
- Determines the impact of students' contagious illnesses and acting to prevent the spread of communicable disease in the school setting.
- Provides and/or delegates services including first aid, care for ill students and emergency care to students and staff.
- Screens for health problems that impact education.
- Identifies and manages students' health concerns so they are ready to learn.
- Acts as a liaison between home and school by communicating with parents regarding students' health and safety needs and developing plans to meet those needs at school.
- Assists students in accessing health care.
- Provides needed health education in the classroom so students are better prepared to deal with the many issues affecting today's young people.
- Provides students with learning opportunities that promote individual and community health.
- Develops school wide programs to address or prevent health and wellness issues.
- Provides a safe school environment so students can concentrate on learning.
- Acts as a member of the crisis intervention team.
- Administers and monitors effectiveness of medications given at school.
- Provides school staff with current information about students' health concerns and care on a confidential need-to-know basis.
- Identifies resources and information about services in the community and provides these services to students and parents.
- Participates as a member of the multidisciplinary team that identifies, evaluates and places students in special education programs.
- Attends IEP meetings as needed.
- Completes and presents health histories as part of case study evaluations.
- Writes health components of the Individual Education Plan.
- Recommends modifications in the school program for students who require accommodations because of health concerns.
- Develops and maintains healthcare plans for students who need special nursing interventions during the school day.
- Participates with other staff in assessing writing and implementing behavior plans.
- Participates as a member of the faculty on District committees and professional association activities.
- Participates in health related community activities as a representative of the School District.
- Maintains communication with administrators, teachers and other school personnel, and parents to enhance cooperative action, which will meet the health and safety needs of students.
- Acts as a liaison between the home, school and community health agencies to enhance health and wellness of the student population.
- Maintains confidentiality regarding all school and health-related issues.
- Ensures that the school maintains an appropriate number of AED and other emergency medical supplies.
- Supports school compliance.
- Collaborates with the administration, social work, special education, and counseling teams.
- Other duties as assigned within the framework of the role and the collective bargaining agreement in effect.
- Demonstrates preparation and skill in working with students from diverse cultural, economic and ability backgrounds.
- Supports the creation of inclusive, identity-affirming spaces for students.
- Implements professional practice and responsibilities, demonstrating cultural competence.
- Implements D.E.I principles in interactions with members of the school community.
Salary and Benefits
- Registered Nurse for the State of Illinois (Strongly Preferred)
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Nursing (Required)
- Type 73 certification (Preferred)
- Certified instructor for American Heart Association CPR and AED (Preferred)
Civitas Education Partners provides a highly competitive salary and benefits package. We are also committed to supporting professional growth and membership in local, state and national educational organizations.