Class Code: 7263 LOCAL DISTRICT CLASSIFICATION PLANCLASS TITLE: SUBSTITUTE - SCHOOL NURSEBASIC FUNCTION:
Administer first aid according to established procedures; conduct a variety of health screenings; prepare and maintain accurate student medical records. REPRESENTATIVE DUTIES:
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES: KNOWLEDGE OF:
- Administer first aid or nursing care for accidents, seizures, preventive medicine and other educational-related medical problems; provide CPR and first aide to school employees as needed.
- Conduct height, weight, vision, hearing, scoliosis and other health screenings as required; provide screening for head lice and observe students on a regular basis to detect health needs.
- Refer students to appropriate personnel, resources or clinics and follow-up as necessary.
- Maintain health records and medical logs; update immunization and student records as needed; prepare and submit periodical medical reports for appropriate organizations or District personnel and assure compliance with established laws and regulations.
- Dispense and retain medication and perform medical treatment in accordance with physician's instructions within District guidelines.
- Communicate with various community health agencies and civic organization to exchange information, coordinate activities and obtain student needs such as medication, glasses, hearing aids and clothing as needed.
- Provide information and make recommendations to principals, substitutes, teachers and parents regarding health issues of students and school health program needs, develop programs to meet school health needs.
- Maintain stock of first aid supplies; assure medical equipment is in proper working condition; order supplies and equipment as needed.
- Participate in screening for health defects and sanitary conditions in schools.
- Maintain current knowledge of medical advances and information, public health issues and treatment procedures.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
- First aid, CPR and nursing practices and procedures.
- Various health-screening practices, procedures and techniques.
- Oral and written communication skills.
- Record-keeping techniques.
- Policies and objectives of assigned program and activities.
- Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy.
- Health and safety regulations.
- Contagious diseases.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Administer first aid according to established procedures.
- Conduct variety of health screenings.
- Prepare and maintain accurate student medical records.
- Make referrals and perform follow-up.
- Maintain medical equipment in proper working condition.
- Understand and follow written prescriptions.
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
- Maintain current knowledge of technological advances in the field.
- Complete work with many interruptions.
- Determine appropriate action within clearly defined guidelines.
- Observe health and safety regulations.
Any combination equivalent to: high school diploma or G.E.D. along with a CNA Certification, an EMT License or Medical Training beyond CNA, and one year comprehensive medical experience. LICENSES AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
Valid Kentucky driver's license and valid CPR/First Aid Certification. View Salaray Schedule here.