School Nurse - District Wide Organizational Relationship or Line of Authority
Reports to the Building Principal, Supervisor of Health Services and Superintendent or his/her desginee Statement of Duties:
- Performs skilled nursing procedures in a safe, competent and effective manner.
- Promote and maintain optimal physical and emotional health of students.
- Provide first aid and emergency care in injury or illness to school population and complete documentation.
- Notify parents of illness and accident, which occur during school hours and fill out appropriate accident form.
- Keep daily log of students seen in health room.
- Performs screenings and reports information as appropriate.
- Maintains accurate, timely, descriptive, and complete documentation in the electronic health record.
- Maintains appropriate confidentiality with respect to student and staff medical and personal information.
- Collects student/school data and systematically evaluates the quality and effectiveness to promote and improve student learning, growth and development (e.g. physical assessment, health screenings, emotional and behavioral assessment, substance use, home and family, nutritional, environmental, school culture, and safety assessments).
- Assists students to achieve optimal levels of wellness through differentiated and appropriately designed and delivered health education and health care practices.
- Develops and implements individual health care plans for students with regular follow up on progress.
- Serves as a liaison and resource to the students, faculty and community on health-related issues during the school day.
- Inform teachers and staff regarding medical issues that may affect their work
- Identifies health (medical/emotional) causes for absenteeism and contributes to school plans to decrease absences whenever possible.
- Administers prescribed medication to students according to policy.
- Observes health regulations, policies and procedures of the school district, Department of Public Health and Department of Education.
- Follows the Nursing Standards of Conduct, as described by the Massachusetts Board of Registration in Nursing.
- Reviews student immunization and medical records prior to admission to school.
- Updates confidential list of students with medical concerns as needed sharing information with appropriate school personnel.
- Participate in and presents findings, nursing guidelines and recommendations at team meetings and staff meetings.
- Provide resources to students, family and faculty for school safety and environmental health issues.
- Maintain Health Office and assigned equipment and supplies
- May need to supervise student(s) on transportation with medical needs on occasion
Skills and Abilities Necessary:
- Completion of a Bachelor of Science in Nursing from an accredited institution.
- A valid, current state license to practice as a Registered Nurse in Massachusetts.
- Licensed by the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education as a School Nurse
- Previous pediatric experience required.
- Current certification in cardiopulmonary CPR/AED from a recognized provider.
- Technical knowledge - Strong professional knowledge specific to subject area, self-directed in acquiring knowledge and skills for school nursing practice and keeping up to date and applying new knowledge to the job.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made and asking questions as appropriate.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people
- Technology Use - Data base entry and use of Microsoft software including, but not limited to, Excel, Word, Outlook and data bases including the electronic health records and web-based sites for tracking information.
- Making Decisions and Solving Problems - Analyzing information and evaluating results to choose the best solution and solving problems.
- Accuracy - Attention to detail for accuracy and thoroughness in completion of tasks and communication is required.
- Communication - Requires constant contact with others in person and through the phone. Also requires some contact with others through email.
- Concern for Others - Job requires being sensitive to others' needs and feelings and being understanding and helpful on the job
- Team Player- Job requires being respectful as part of a team with others on the job and displaying constructive, collaborative behaviors.
- Dependability - Job requires being responsible and dependable in fulfilling obligations.
See Appendix A-2 Salary Schedule and Appendix D Leadership Stipend in the Marlborough Educators Association Contract in the HR section of the MPS website at www.mps-edu.org An Equal Opportunity Employer
It is the policy of the Marlborough Public Schools not to discriminate on the basis of race, gender, religion, national origin, color, homelessness, sexual orientation, gender identity, age or disability in its education program, services, activities or employment