$59,246.58 - $125,399.34 Annually Location :
Various Locations, CA Job Type:
Certificated Teaching Job Number:
Various Departments Opening Date:
12/15/2022 Closing Date:
11/30/2023 11:59 PM Pacific
Description This pool is for assignments for the 2023/2024 school year.Please note that on 9/28/2021, the Board of Education mandated the COVID-19 vaccination as a requirement for employment.
The San Diego Unified School District accepts applications for School Nurses on a continuous basis for regular full-time, part-time, and temporary assignments. This is a continuous recruitment which will be used to establish an ongoing eligibility list.
This pool is for individuals who:
- hold a valid nursing services credential, or
- have a Bachelor's Degree from a regionally accredited university/program and a RN license, or
- are enrolled in a college/university to attain a nursing services credential.
Nurses in the District are itinerant, which means they may travel to one or more sites to serve students.
If you have not applied for a California teaching credential, please remember that as of January 1, 2017, you must hold a Certificate of Clearance prior to applying for your credential. Visit the CCTC website for more information.
Examples of Duties
The duties of a School Nurse include but are not limited to the following:
- Assess and evaluate the health and developmental status of pupils.
- Design and implement individual student health maintenance plans, incorporating plans directed by a physician.
- Refer the pupil and parent or guardian to appropriate community resources for necessary services.
- Interpret medical and nursing findings appropriate to the student's individualized education program and make recommendations to professional personnel directly involved.
- Consult with, conduct in-service training for, and serve as a resource person to teachers and administrators.
- Act as a participant in implementing a comprehensive health instruction curriculum for students.
- Develop and implement the health education curriculum.
Minimum Qualifications Application Process:
To be eligible for consideration, interested candidates must submit the following:
- On-line employment application
- Response to the supplemental questionnaire
- Cover letter and resume
- A copy of a valid school nurse services credential, proof of enrollment in a credential program, or a copy of Bachelor's Degree and registered nurse license.
- Contact information for three professional references must be listed under the 'References' section of the application. References should be from a current or previous supervisor. We will be reaching out to your professional reference contacts in the screening process of this application.
- A copy of written reference letters within the last two years is desirable.
Required documents must be attached to the online employment application to be considered. The supplemental questions should be answered thoroughly, clearly and concisely as the responses provided (along with the entire application package) will be carefully reviewed to determine which candidates will move forward in the recruitment process. Please complete the online application to include all current and previous paid work history and education. Indicate on the application if you have unpaid volunteer or internship experience. The length of time you worked in each position or assignment must be clearly shown. A resume must be attached, but it does not substitute for completing the work history and education sections of the employment application. Examination Process Click here for a view of the entire screening process.
The examination process will consist of an application screening based on the candidate's education, work history and responses to the supplemental questions. Professional References will be contacted for candidates who are selected to proceed in the examination process. Applicants who meet the minimum qualifications are not guaranteed advancement through any subsequent phase of the examination. Candidates selected to proceed in the examination process will be invited to an interview. Applicants who pass the examination process will be placed on an eligible list for a period of one year. The eligible list will be used to fill vacancies at various school sites. Click here to see a guide to our eligibility lists.
Due to the high volume of applications received, Human Resources will contact you directly, should you be selected to advance in our recruitment process.
Applicants considered for employment must successfully complete the following background investigation/tests:
- Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) Criminal History Investigation
- Tuberculosis Screening/Test
The San Diego Unified School District communicates information regarding the hiring process via email. Please be aware that the District is not responsible for messages blocked by your email service. In an effort to allow our emails through your personal spam filter, you can add firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com to your safe senders' list.
The San Diego Unified School District provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, immigration status, association with a group with one or more actual or perceived characteristics or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training. The Title IX Coordinator's contact information is firstname.lastname@example.org, 619.725.8000, or by mail, 4100 Normal Street, San Diego, CA 92103. The Title II Coordinator's contact information is email@example.com 619.725.5678 or by mail, 4100 Normal Street Room 3126, San Diego, CA 92103. The 504 Coordinator's contact information is firstname.lastname@example.org at 619.344.6420 or by mail, 5465 El Cajon Blvd. Room B-2, San Diego, CA 92115 It is the policy of the San Diego Unified School District to maintain a drug-free workplace. If needed, individuals protected by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) may request an accommodation.
Do you hold a valid school nurse services credential?
Please select the subject for the valid credential(s) that you currently hold or are attaining (select all that apply). Attach a copy to your application.
- Early Childhood Education Permit
- Education Specialist: Mild/Moderate
- Education Specialist: Moderate/Severe
- Industrial and Technology Education
- Multiple Subjects
- Physical Education
- School Nurse Services
- Science: Biology
- Science: Chemistry
- Science: General Science
- Science: Geo/Earth Science
- Science :Physics
- Social Science
- World Language: French
- World Language: Mandarin
- World Language: Spanish
- World Language: Other
- CTE: Agriculture
- CTE: Arts, Media and Entertainment
- CTE: Building & Construction Trades
- CTE: Business and Finance
- CTE: Education, Child Development and Family Services
- CTE: Energy, Environment & Utilities
- CTE: Engineering & Architecture
- CTE: Health Science & Medical Technology
- CTE: Hospitality, Tourism & Recreation
- CTE: Information & Communication Technology
- CTE: Manufacturing & Product Development
- CTE: Marketing, Sales & Service
- CTE: Public Services
- CTE: Transportation
Do you currently hold a bilingual authorization? To receive credit, attach a copy to the "Attachments" section of your application.
Please select the valid bilingual authorization that you currently hold (select all that apply).
Are you currently enrolled in a school nurse services credential program? If so, please attach proof of enrollment in the "Attachment" section of your application.
If you are currently attaining a school nurse services credential, when will you complete your program?
If you do not hold a school nurse services credential and are not enrolled in a credential program, are you eligible to hold a credential? Attach a copy of your Bachelor's Degree and registered nurse license in the "Attachment" section of your application.
With which university or credential program did you or will you attain your credential?
- Alliant University
- Azusa Pacific University
- Bradman University
- Cal State Los Angeles
- Cal State San Marcos
- National University
- Point Loma Nazarene University
- San Diego State University
- University of California San Diego
- University of Phoenix
- University of San Diego
- I have not entered a credential program yet.
If you indicated "other" above, please list where you received or are attaining your credential.