Tea Area School DistrictJOB DESCRIPTION
JOB TITLE: Substitute Nurse
A. Education Level: Bachelor's degree in Nursing. A valid South Dakota Registered Nurse license.
B. Experience Desired: One to three years experience in the health care field, preferably community health or pediatrics.
C. Physical Requirements: Must be able to lift up 35 pounds intermittently during an eight hour day. Requires constant hearing, hand-eye and mind-eye coordination; intermittent speaking and walking. Requires frequent keyboarding, repetitive motions with the wrists, hands, and fingers. Standing, turning, and stooping are required.
REPORTS TO: Superintendent, School Nurse
WORKS WITH: Superintendent, School Nurse, Building Principals, Special Education Director
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND DUTIES MAY INCLUDE:
- Serves as an assistant to the school nurse.
- Collects information about the health and developmental status of the student in a systematic and continuous manner.
- Uses data collected about health and developmental status of the student to determine a nursing diagnosis.
- Focuses on prevention of illness, disability, and the early detection and correction of health problems.
- Administers medications, treatments, and procedures as directed by the student's physician and district policy.
- Acts as first responder for all student and staff medical emergencies during the school day.
- Maintains and assures confidentiality of information.
- Complies with school district policies and operating procedures.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the School Nurse and/or Superintendent.
A. Inside and Outside
B. Climatic Environment - Climate controlled environment with some temperature variations. Typically, work is conducted in a comfortable environment.
C. Hazards - Occasional travel may cause exposure to hazardous driving and walking conditions.
D. Work Year - This position is on an as needed basis. Duties of the position may be performed between August 1st and June 30th.