Student Support Services/School Nurse
Lamar County Middle School
Open Until filled
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the supervision of the school principal and Assistant Superintendent, the school nurse will carry out the following duties:
1. Oversee and / or administer medications given at assigned school according to prescription and / or over-the-counter label instructions, keeping accurate documentation.
2. Provide guidelines for documentation of sick/injured children and medication administration.
3. Adhere to the directions of the physician when providing related services at all schools.
4. Be available for emergency care of all faculty, staff, and students at all schools.
5. Consult with teachers, administrators, parents and outside agencies relative to student health problems at all schools.
6. Assist faculty in identifying and referring students in need of medical and dental care.
7. Teach First Aid and C.P.R. to personnel as indicated and requested.
8. Make initial and follow-up screenings of possible contagious diseases when referred by a staff member.
9. Purchase and distribute medical and first aid supplies to each school.
10. Participate with administrators and school staff in developing and implementing the overall school health policies (e.g., head lice, medication administration).
11. Coordinate community resources to aid students, parents and teachers regarding health-related problems and/or needs.
12. Work with teachers in carrying out the Health and Safety Curriculum and Sexuality Objectives, K-12.
13. Maintain up-to-date cumulative health records on students referred for medical/nursing care.
14. Maintain Federal and State records as required.
15. Work with the County Health Department in conducting routine scoliosis screenings.
16. Serve on committees (Family Life Council and Guidance Committee).
17. Assume other duties as assigned.
Current State Certification as LPN or RN.
Be able to stand, walk, bend, stoop, sit, climb and lift items of approximately 40 pounds throughout the workday.
Please do not contact the school. Direct all questions to personnel.