BURKE COUNTY BOARD OF EDUCATION
JOB DESCRIPTION : Substitute School Nurse POSITION STATUS: Exempt
POSITION STATUS: Non-Contracted FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
(1) Certified/Licensed Practical Nurse or Registered Nurse.
(2) Three (3) years minimum successful pediatric, public health or school nursing preferred.
(3) Current First Aid and CPR Certification.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Knowledge of public health nursing as it applies to the public school system.
Ability to observe students for development and health patterns in making a nursing judgment and
Ability to implement plans for students with chronic health problems and coordinate the
administration of medication within state law and Board policies.
Ability to demonstrate effective skills of listening, speaking and writing.
Ability to work with school personnel, parents, children and agencies.
School Principal and Lead Nurse
To promote and assist with the medical welfare of the students so that all may perform to the
extent of their abilities.
1. Administers all medications.
2. Administers first aid as needed; oversees general health needs.
3. Prepares plans for emergencies.
4. Conducts screenings for lice and counsels students and parents on treatment of lice.
5. Administers or assists with any treatment needed by students;
catheterizations, suctioning, tube feedings, nebulizers.
6. Checks blood pressures and temperatures of staff and students as needed.
7. Conducts dental screenings as needed.
8. Counsels students on medical issues, problems at home, illness, death, etc.
9. Referrals made to counselors as needed.
10. Maintains infection control procedures.
11. Follows up (by phone) on injured or very ill students.
12. Screens students checking out due to illness or injury.
13. Maintains health records and immunization compliance.
14. Maintains secure storage of all medications.
15. Maintains accurate log of medication given daily.
16. Maintains accurate log of students seen and treatments rendered daily.
17. Obtains and keeps records of parental consent to administer medication.
18. Calls parents as needed.
19. Maintains adequate supplies used in the clinic.
20. Fills out accident reports.
21. Maintains clean environment in the clinic.
22. Reports to principal any medical situations that might affect the student body, such as
23. Maintains files with emergency contact numbers for each student.
24. Sends home current information concerning students such as lice outbreaks, strep throat,
25. Provides in-services to staff as requested.
26. Keeps teacher informed on medical problems relating to students in their class.
27. Maintains current CPR and First Aid training.
28. Reads current nursing and medical journals.
29. Reads school news health letter and reviews guidelines for school nurses.
30. Attends in-service meetings for nurses.
31. Remains active in GASN (GA. Association of Nurses).
32. Takes part in Career Day at school.
33. Maintains a cooperative working relationship with appropriate governmental agencies.
34. Communicates effectively with the public, staff members, students, parents,
administrators and other contact persons using tact and good judgment.
35. Follows attendance, punctuality and proper dress rules.
36. Ensures adherence to good safety standards.
37. Maintains confidentiality regarding school/workplace matters.
38. Models and maintains high ethical standards.
39. Demonstrates initiative in the performance of assigned responsibilities.
40. Maintains expertise in assigned area to fulfill project goals and objectives.
41. Participates successfully in the training programs offered to increase skill and proficiency
related to assignment.
42. Keeps supervisor informed of potential problems or unusual events.
43. Responds to inquiries and concerns in a timely manner.
44. Serves on school/system committees as required or appropriate.
45. Exhibits interpersonal skills to work as an effective team member.
46. Demonstrates support for the school system and its goals and priorities.
47. Demonstrates initiative in identifying potential problems or opportunities for
48. Prepares all required reports and maintain all appropriate records.
49. Participates in cross-training activities as required.
50. Performs other tasks consistent with the goals and objectives of this position.
Medium Work: Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 20 pounds of force
frequently and/or up to 10 pounds of force as needed to move objects.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
Salary shall be paid consistent with the System's salary schedule.
Length of work year and hours of employment shall be established by the System.
Performance of this job will be evaluated by the principal.