Special Services/School Nurse Date Posted:
Districtwide CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
Current Illinois Professional Educator License (PEL) with a school nurse endorsement QUALIFICATIONS
- Current Registered Nurse licensure in State of Illinois
- Current First Aid program completion.
- Current Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation program completion
- Illinois Certification as a Vision and Hearing Screening technician
- Computer literacy and competency in use of existing technology
- Prior professional nursing experience, preferably in pediatric, adolescent, community and mental health nursing, and health management.
Department Chair, Health Services
Administrator - Principal, Student Services Director, or as designated by the district SUPERVISES:
- Non-certified Registered Nurses and Licensed Practical Nurses working in the school
- Classroom nurses and other health care providers for students
- Health aides, clerical assistants, and Health Services volunteers
To coordinate a comprehensive school health program including the delivery of services to students and staff members in order to enhance health and wellness in the school community. Duties are to be performed in accordance with standards of professional school nurse practice, district/state board of education policies and procedures and Illinois State law regarding nurse practice. PERFORMANCE RESPONSIBILITIES:Coordination
- Develops and administers a comprehensive school health program.
- Collects and analyzes epidemiological and other school health information and makes recommendations based upon statistical data.
- Establishes an accident/injury prevention program to facilitate school safety.
- Assesses the health and safety needs of the school environment in compliance with Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) guidelines, implementing the Bloodborne Pathogen Exposure Control Plan and other interventions as indicated.
- Establishes a communicable disease prevention and control program in cooperation with local and state public health agencies.
- Manages school health records in accordance with Illinois School Student Records Act, providing efficient retrieval of information and other related archival responsibilities.
- Participates in Child-find programs and establishes and manages health screening programs according to state mandates and guidelines.
- Participates in the development of health-related policies and procedures in compliance with state mandates and current health practices.
- Serves as case manager to coordinate health care in the school setting.
- Develops and monitor 504 plans
- Identify student IEP health needs, develop and monitor goals as needed.
- Participates as a member of the curriculum committee as a resource and specialist in health issues.
- Provides staff in-service programs on health topics.
- Provides health related classroom instruction.
- Provides an/or delegates direct professional nursing services, first aid, illness, and emergency care to students and staff including nursing assessment, identifying health problems, making referrals for diagnosis and treatment, recommending educational modifications, providing follow-up and evaluation, and maintaining appropriate documentation.
- Provides health information and counseling for students, parents, and staff.
- Maintain a medication protocol to safely store, administer, document, and monitor the effectiveness of medication given at school.
- Supervises and/or provides for screening and follow up for deficits in vision, hearing, growth and development, and other physical deficits.
- Maintains accurate medical records to assure compliance with state mandates including immunizations, physical examinations, and medical conditions.
- Participates as a crisis team member and provides crisis intervention for students and staff in the advent of sudden illness or injury.
Health Office Management
- Makes appropriate assessment and referrals for suspected abuse/neglect as a mandated reporter.
- Participates in building wellness committee.
- Monitors building AED and emergency medication and supplies.
- Maintains a user-friendly and organized health services facility conducive to confidential communications and services.
- Purchases and maintains health and OSHA supplies and equipment as indicated for the health office and school.
- Manages and makes recommendations for health services annual budget and critical needs requests.
- Maintains communication with administrators, teachers, other school personnel, and parents/guardians to enhance cooperative action, which will meet the health and safety needs of students.
- Initiates contact with and acts as a liaison between the home, school, community health agencies and the private medical sector to enhance the health and wellness of the school community.
- Maintains confidentiality regarding all school and health-related issues.
- Participates as a member of the multidisciplinary team in the identification, evaluation, and placement of students into special education programs. Writes the health component of the Individual Education Plan as indicated.
- Recommends modifications of the school program for students who require accommodations due to a health deficit.
- Develops and maintains current health care plans for students who need special nursing interventions during the school day.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Participates as a member of her professional school nursing and education organizations and utilizes continuing education opportunities to enhance professional knowledge in both nursing and education fields.
- Participates as a member of the faculty on district committees and association activities.
- Participates as an active member of the school community, representing health/wellness.
Placement on certificated pay scale at a level commensurate with education and school nursing experience. EVALUATION:
Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with provisions of the Board's policy and contractual requirements for certificated personnel.