Public Health Nurse IV
Public Health Nurse IV
$82,000.10 - $90,470.90 Annually
Houston Health Department
12/3/2023 11:59 PM Central
Applications Accepted From : ALL PERSONS INTERESTED
Division : Community Health Services
Workdays & Hours : Mon.- 8:30-5:30PM Tue-Fri. 8:00am -5:00 PM Weekends As Needed*
Subject to change
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
The Houston Health Department is actively searching for a skilled individual to perform the following essential functions as a Public Health Nurse IV.
- Serves as the team lead, performing supervisory, consultative, advisory, and educational nursing work in the field of public health
- Shares responsibility with other nursing staff members in the planning, coordination, and evaluation of the various public health nursing programs.
- Educates the community regarding public health services; may instruct specialized preventive health courses.
- Develops and conducts lectures and demonstrations on new techniques for nurses in public or private clinics.
- Participates in the orientation, training, and guidance of new employees and nursing students
- Reviews, evaluates, and develops public health care/nursing services for utilization within health center or community settings
- Assists with developing clinical and administrative procedures and policies.
- Conducts and participates in Quality Assurance initiatives and auditing processes.
- Performs assessments and specimen collection; administers/distributes medications to clients per established protocols; and consults with advanced licensed medical professionals to determine most appropriate plan of care
- Verifies, reviews, and enters patient medical history and documents on patients' diseases, operations, immunizations and any other information to coordinate the plan of care for clients.
- May handle special projects as directed.
- The position occasionally requires stooping or bending. Occasional very light lifting, such as three or four reams of papers or books (up to 20 pounds or an equivalent weight) may be required. There are occasional minor discomforts from exposure to less-than-optimal temperature and air conditions. The position may involve dealing with modestly unpleasant situations, as with occasional exposure to office chemicals and/or extensive use of a video display terminal.
Requires graduation from an accredited school of nursing. A Bachelor of Science degree in nursing is preferred.
Four (4) years of nursing practice or experience as a medical professional in a clinic or hospital setting are required.
A Master of Science degree in Nursing, a license to practice as a registered nurse in the State of Texas, in addition to (1) one year of nursing experience, may be substituted for the experience requirement.
Must be licensed to practice as a registered nurse (RN) in the State of Texas. CPR certification is required. RN License and CPR certification must be maintained and current for continued employment.
PREFERENCESPreference shall be given to eligible veteran applicants provided such persons possess the qualifications necessary for competent discharge of the duties involved in the position applied for, such persons are among the most qualified candidates for the position, and all other factors in accordance with Executive Order 1-6.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish), the ability to speak, read, and write fluently in English and Spanish
- Working knowledge of quality management and quality improvement methodologies
- Excellent written, oral, presentation, facilitation, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to handle and prioritize multiple, diverse assignments.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office programs and other basic email and web software
SELECTION/SKILLS TESTS REQUIRED
SAFETY IMPACT POSITION : Yes
If yes, this position is subject to random drug testing, and if the candidate is promoted into this position, he/she must pass an assigned drug test.
SALARY INFORMATION GENERAL FUND POSITION
Factors used in determining the salary offered include the candidate's qualifications as well as the pay rates of other employees in this classification.***
Pay Grade 22
Only online applications will be accepted for this City of Houston job and must be received by the Human Resources Department during the active posting period. Applications must be submitted online at: www.houstontx.gov.
To view your detailed application status, please log in to your online profile by visiting: http://agency.governmentjobs.com/houston/default.cfm or call 832-393-4886/832-393-4632.
If you need special services or accommodations, 832-393-4886/832-393-4632 (TTY 7-1-1).
If you need login assistance or technical support, call 855-524-5627.
Due to the high volume of applications received, the Hiring Department will contact you directly should you be selected to advance in our recruitment process.
All new and rehires must pass a pre-employment drug test and are subject to a physical examination and verification of information provided.
EOE Equal Opportunity Employer
The City of Houston is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce and providing a work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based upon any legally protected status or protected characteristic, including but not limited to an individual's sex, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity, or pregnancy.
The city offers a competitive benefits program, including competitively priced health coverage and a defined contribution pension plan.
• Life insurance
• Long-term disability
• Retirement pension
• 457 deferred compensation plan
• Employee Assistance Program
• 10 days of vacation each year
• 10 city holidays, plus one floating holiday
• Flexible schedules
• Professional development opportunities
• Transportation/parking plan
• Section 125 pretax deductions
• Dependent Care Reimbursement Plan
• Healthcare Flexible Spending Account
For plan details, visit http://www.houstontx.gov/hr/benefits.html
Are you a veteran who served on active duty in the Armed Forces (United States Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, or Coast Guard) for more than 90 consecutive days and received either an honorable discharge or a general discharge under honorable conditions?
Are you presently employed by the City of Houston?
Do you have a valid/current driver's license?
- My license is presently restricted, suspended or revoked
Are you licensed to practice as a Registered Nurse in the State of Texas or have you registered to receive your license to practice nursing in the State of Texas?
Do you have a valid CPR certification?
Which of the following best describes your highest level of education completed as it relates to this position?
- High School Diploma or G.E.D. equivalent
- Associate's Degree in Nursing
- Bachelor's Degree in Nursing
- Master's Degree in Nursing or another related field
- None of the above
Did you graduate from an accredited school of nursing?
How many years of experience in nursing practice or experience as a medical professional in a clinic or hospital setting do you possess?
- Less than one year of experience
- At least one year but less than two (2) years of experience
- At least two (2) years but less than three (3) years of experience
- Four (4) or more years of experience
- I do not have this experience
Please indicate your "highest" level of proficiency in Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, Outlook).
- BEGINNER: Perform daily word processing tasks, enter and correct data, modify a workbook, format a Worksheet, creates a new e-mail message, checking e-mail.
- INTERMEDIATE: Basic formatting and create a variety of templates, merges; manage table data, sort and filter merges, reply, forward, print and delete an e-mail message.
- ADVANCED: Manage table data, sort and filter merges, advanced techniques for analyzing and manipulating data in Excel, delete e-mails from the Inbox, Sent Items and Deleted Items folders, Add, edit, move and delete appointments on your calendar.
- EXPERT: Produce table of contents, footnotes, endnotes, bookmarks, manage Macro commands, and create MS Excel applications, managing multiple calendars.
- No Experience
Please explain your verifiable experience working with family planning, immunization TB, or STD patients. (See Resume is not acceptable)
In which of the following do you have work experience? (check all that apply)
- Tuberculosis (TB)
- Viral Hepatitis (A, B and C)
- Other communicable diseases
- None of the above
Please explain your experience in offering direct health care services to vulnerable populations (seniors, teenagers/ adolescents, low income, high-risk, minority populations, etc.) See resume is not acceptable.
Please indicate languages in which you are fluent (reading, writing, and/or speaking). Check all that apply:
Do you have experience working with EPIC, an electronic medical record system?
If you answered yes to the previous question, please explain your working experience with EPIC. (See Resume is not acceptable.)
Describe your experience in supervising front-line clinical staff? (See resume is not acceptable)