The Moody Bible Institute exists to provide a Bible-centered education that enables students to know Christ and serve Him through His church in vocational ministry. The goal of the seminary, undergraduate school, and online is to provide an experience that challenges the students to think Christianly and critically and prepares the person for effective service for the cause of Christ around the world. Therefore, Moody seeks to attract and retain faculty who are committed to the focus and mission of the Institute.
A faculty member is responsible to the division chair of the primary instructional department as well as the discipline-specific program head. This assignment is made by the Vice President/Academic Dean and Dean of Faculty. Faculty have the primary responsibility to foster learning through both formal and informal involvement in the students' lives. In addition, each member of the faculty has a responsibility to further the work of the primary instructional department, and the appropriate divisions and schools of the Moody Bible Institute.
The Communications Program at the Moody Bible Institute (MBI) seeks a full-time faculty member with an emphasis in speech and performance. We welcome candidates whose work traverses communications, media, and storytelling disciplines. Specific strengths in play direction and production, acting and oral interpretation, professional public and online speech presentations, and public discourse are of immediate need. Essential Functions
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position.
- Design and teach courses such as: Speech Communication, Fundamentals of Public Presentations, Performing Scripture as a Dramatic Text, Voice Over Media and Advanced Public Presentations
- Advise the Performance Practicum (ShadowBox Theater) and direct productions
- Advise AdVivum Drama Ministry Team, a traveling team which performs in local churches
- Write/compile and direct the Candlelight Carols drama
- Co-direct Music Drama Workshop
- Determine instructional outcomes appropriate to each course taught and assess student academic and/or skill achievement related to those outcomes. Such outcomes are to be consistent with departmental mission and objectives.
- Be prompt in submission of grades, reports, and other required information.
- Attend committee, department, and faculty meetings as scheduled.
- Be present on campus a minimum of four days per week (30 hours), and post and maintain a minimum of eight office hours per week during the fall and spring semesters. Special provisions may be made with the approval of the Field Chair and Dean of Faculty.
- Other duties as assigned
- Master's Degree in Communications or related field
- Collegiate-level teaching experience.
- Agree with a doctrinal statement and lifestyle commitment.
- Authorized to work in the US legally, without sponsorship.
- Doctorate Degree (progress toward a doctorate or significant experience in the field will be considered)
- Ability to anchor speech and drama studies, providing oversight and leadership to a variety of integrated media skills
- Ability to write and produce MBI dramatic productions
- Commitment and ability to teach existing Communications courses and develop new ones
- Ability to teach in multiple modalities
- An attitude of teamwork, collaboration, openness, and appreciation for the diversity of ideas within the field
- A high level of personal integrity, energy, and resilience
- A commitment to transformational learning and the development of the whole student
- Ability to teach in additional Communications practices is also highly desirable
Moody Bible Institute is a Christian-based Higher Education and Media Ministry. We exist to equip people with the Truth of God's Word. If you are mission-minded, and have a servant's heart, join us as we look to further impact the Kingdom of God.
Rank and salary commensurate with degree and experience.
Applicant résumés will be reviewed as they are received, with formal review of applicants beginning on May 1st, 2023.
The Moody Bible Institute is a Bible college located in downtown Chicago with an undergraduate enrollment of approximately 1200. The college is accredited by the Association for Biblical Higher Education and the Higher Learning Commission. Additional Information
Moody Bible Institute is a Christ-centered, multicultural community that values and seeks faculty and staff who are committed to diversity, work effectively with diverse populations, and engage others in ways that honor our rich cultural mosaic and biblical foundation. Candidates must align with MBI's Christian identity. Employees are expected to sign a Statement of Faith and adhere to the Community Standards.
We comply with all applicable laws pertaining to nondiscrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, and any other applicable legally protected category. As a religious institution, we have the right to, and do, require that employees hold beliefs consistent with our Doctrinal Statement and conduct themselves in a manner consistent with our religious beliefs, as explained in our Community Standards.