Student Support Services/School Nurse Date Posted:
New Horizons Community Charter School JOB DESCRIPTIONSchool NursePURPOSE:
To promote health and safety in the school environment and provide health services to students, faculty and staff, to assist with the teaching of sound health practices.REPORTS TO:
Principal or his/her designeeQUALIFICATIONS:
JOB FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Valid New Jersey School Nurse Certificate
- Demonstrated expertise in school health nursing practice and emergency procedures
- Knowledge of child growth and development, community and family dynamics, current health issues and wellness education
- Knowledge of community health and social services resources and ability to communicate effectively with non-school health professionals and social service agencies
- Required criminal history background check and proof of U.S. Citizenship or legal resident alien status
- Works in cooperation with the school physician, other school health professionals (e.g. dentist, noncertified nurses, Optometrist), members of the staff, parents and community health professionals to ensure a healthy school climate and to minimize absence due to illness.
- Promotes healthy/safe school environment by assisting the administration and staff to maintain safe and sanitary conditions throughout the school. Reports problems promptly to the principal.
- Surveys, Screening and Record-Keeping
- Conducts health services and screening programs as required by law and/or board policies.
- Schedules and supervises health surveys of students and staff. Assists the school physician with physical examinations; makes referrals and conducts follow-up activities as necessary.
- Maintains up-to-date health records on all students, maintains separate records of immunizations for the purpose of immunization record auditor and ensures their confidentiality.
- Direct Medical Services Provided to Students
- Provides emergency care in case of sudden illness and administers first-aid in case of injury to students or staff according to established policies and procedures.
- Is responsible for the availability and maintenance of required medical supplies and equipment.
- Administers prescribed medication to students in accordance with law and board policy. Provides training and supervision of the emergency administration of epinephrine for designated school staff.
- Helps prevent and control communicable disease through inspections, lectures, exclusion and re-admission of students and staff in keeping with state and local health regulations and school policies.
- Notifies principal or his/her designee to arrange for immediate examination of any pupil who appears to be under the influence of alcohol or other drugs.
- Confers with and advises students, parents, and staff members on matters pertaining to the health and safety of students. Participates in the development and implementation of the district's emergency and crisis management plan.
- Assists the principal and the child study team in the identification and placement of students with disabilities who need special education services.
- Provides special health care and related services to meet the needs of students with disabilities.
- Health Education
- Participates in the development of a comprehensive health education curriculum.
- Upon request, assists teachers with instruction of certain health units. Provides information and training on health matters at staff meetings and in-service training. Serves as a resource to teachers and administrators on health matters.
- Collaborates with community and other non-school health agencies to meet the health needs of children and families.
- Provides information to parents and children in a format that allows them to make better choices that improve their health.
- Administrative Activities
- Assists the principal with the preparation of the school's health budget.
- Assists in the development of policies and procedures for comprehensive health education and services.
- Develops and maintains the annual School Nursing Plan in conjunction with the Chief School Administrator and the school physician. The annual School Nursing Plan will include a description of basic nursing services provided; a summary of specific medical needs of individual students and how they will be addressed; a description of emergency nursing services; detailed nursing assignments for all school buildings; and a description of nursing and additional medical services to nonpublic schools.
- Prepares health and safety reports as required by law and/or requested by the principal.
- Reports any suspicion of child abuse to the Division of Youth and Family Services and building principal or his/her designee.
- Serves on committees as assigned in order to incorporate essential health care information into the deliberations and reports of these committees.
- Maintains professional competence through in-service education and participation in other professional development activities. Receives training in the treatment of asthma and maintains a valid current Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation certificate as required by law and administrative code.
- Performs such other appropriate duties as required under law or as may be assigned by the principal or student personnel services director.
NonePHYSICAL AND ENVIRONMENTAL DEMANDS:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, walk, talk, hear, operate a computer, hand-held learning devices and other office equipment, reach with hands and arms, and must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:
This is a 10-month full-time position that is annually renewable in accordance to New Horizons Community approved policies and procedures. The typical work day is from 7:40 AM to 3:40 PM.COMPENSATION:
Salary recommended by the Executive Director and established by the Board of Trustees.EVALUATION:
Performance of this job will be evaluated annually in accordance with the provisions of the Board's policy.
Job Types: Full-time, Contract