Cardiothoracic surgery is a highly dynamic and increasingly complex surgical subspecialty that requires a team of clinicians operating at the highest scope of practice for optimally medical care and surgical outcomes. Advanced practice providers (APPs), including physician assistants (PAs) and nurse practitioners (NPs), have become essential members of that team, however sub-specialty education in APP training is minimal. Postgraduate training in all aspects of medicine is becoming of greater importance as an adjunct to traditional NP and PA primary-care focused education. As these postgraduate programs become increasingly popular, programs specializing in cardiothoracic surgery are exceptionally infrequent. Emory Healthcare Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery is committed to meeting the ever-changing needs or the population by establishing a program of excellence to offer formal training in cardiothoracic surgery in a more rapid and efficient manner than traditional on-the-job training.PROGRAM DESCRIPTION
The Emory Healthcare Cardiothoracic Surgery Advanced Practice Provider Residency (hereto known as "The Program") is a 1-year certificate-granting program for APP's who wish to receive formalized training in cardiothoracic surgery. The program will consist of both a didactic and clinical curriculum addressing the disease processes and treatment of the cardiothoracic surgical patient. The didactic curriculum, with live and web-based components, will run concomitant to the clinical curriculum. Web-based learning activities will be delivered via MyEvaluations.com Academic Suite ™
. Regular graded written examinations will be administered to assess comprehension and retention of knowledge acquired throughout the didactic curriculum.DescriptionJOB SUMMARY:
- Within the limits of licensure, functions at the highest level of autonomy providing the highest acuity of care under a supervising cardiothoracic surgeon.
- Examines, evaluates, and treats patients with all ASA levels of medical acuity who require all degrees of invasive and interventional procedures.
- Performs cross-functional responsibilities, often simultaneously, in the operating room, ICU, step down unit and outpatient areas.
- Handles full rotation of care where providers perform pre-op, intra-op, post-op care/procedures.
- Proficient in: central line placement, swan ganz insertion, chest tube insertion, thoracentesis, intra-aortic balloon insertion and removal, all intraoperative conduit harvest, chest closure, and first and second assisting in all types of cardiac and thoracic surgical procedures.
- Educates patients and families on risks, outcomes, and health maintenance.
- When needed, may be required to provide clinical coverage to any of 5 hospital sites performing adult cardiothoracic surgery.
- Graduation from a nationally certified and accredited Physician Assistant or Nurse Practitioner Program.
- Current licensure or eligible for licensure as a Physician Assistant or Nurse Practitioner in the state of Georgia.
Additional Details ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS:
- (Medium): 20-50 lbs; 0-33% of the work day (occasionally); 11-25 lbs, 34-66% of the workday (frequently); 01-10 lbs, 67-100% of the workday (constantly); Lifting 50 lbs max; Carrying of objects up to 25 lbs; Occasional to frequent standing & walking, Occasional sitting, Close eye work (computers, typing, reading, writing), Physical demands may vary depending on assigned work area and work tasks.
- Environmental Factors: Factors affecting environment conditions may vary depending on the assigned work area and tasks. Environmental exposures include, but are not limited to: Blood-borne pathogen exposure Bio-hazardous waste Chemicals/gases/fumes/vapors Communicable diseases Electrical shock, Floor Surfaces, Hot/Cold Temperatures, Indoor/Outdoor conditions, Latex, Lighting, Patient care/handling injuries, Radiation, Shift work, Travel may be required.
- Use of personal protective
- Successful completion of an accredited master's level or higher PA or acute care NP program with a GPA of 3.5 or higher
- Three Letters of Recommendation, at least one being from NP/PA program director or current employer
- Accreditation by a nationally recognized body as a PA or ACNP
- License to practice medicine in Georgia (or in process)
- BLS/ACLS certification
To be considered, you must complete the following steps: Step One-
Complete a candidate profile and submit your resume for job requisition 119191- NP/PA Fellow, CT Surgery Step Two-
Upload ALL the Required Application Materials outlined below to your candidate profile. Both steps must be completed by 11:59 p.m. on Monday, January 15 th , 2024 to be considered.
Required documents to complete the application process are listed below and must accompany your application:
Incomplete submissions will not be accepted.Recruitment Timeline:
- Official transcript from PA or NP program
- Three letters of recommendation, with one being from PA/NP program director or current employer
- Documentation of accreditation by a nationally recognized body as a PA or ACNP (or intention to do so for new graduates or current students)
- Documentation of licensure to practice medicine in Georgia or eligibility for licensure (or intention to do so for current students)
- One-page, typed Statement of Interest in the program
Application Open: Tuesday, October 24 th , 2023, 12:00 AM EDT
Application Deadline: Monday, January 15 th , 2024, 11:59 PM EST
If selected to move forward, candidates will be contacted via phone by Program Coordinators to schedule phone interviews.
For additional information and program requirements, please visit our fellowship program website:CT Surgery APP Fellowship Program (http://www.surgery.emory.edu/training/cardiothoracic-app-fellowship/index.html)
In accordance with EEOC guidelines, Emory Healthcare is committed to equal opportunity in employment and education. Discrimination against any individual for reasons of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability or service in the uniformed services is specifically prohibited.Connect With Us!
Connect with us for general consideration!Division
The Emory Clinic Campus Location
Atlanta, GA, 30308 Campus Location
TEC CT Surg - Cardiac Midtown Job Type
Regular Full-Time Job Number
119191 Job Category
Advanced Practice Providers Schedule
Other Standard Hours
Emory Healthcare is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer committed to providing equal opportunity in all of its employment practices and decisions. Emory Healthcare prohibits discrimination, harassment, and retaliation in employment based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, age (40 and over), disability, citizenship, genetic information, service in the uniformed services, veteran status or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.