Senior Director, Materials Science Biologics Technical Development
United States - California - Oceanside
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based bio-pharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative medicines in areas of unmet medical need. With each new discovery and investigational drug candidate, we seek to improve the care of patients living with life-threatening diseases around the world. Gilead's therapeutic areas of focus include HIV/AIDS, liver diseases, cancer and inflammation, and serious respiratory and cardiovascular conditions.Making an impact on a global scale
Inclusion is one of the company's five core values. That's because we know that we are stronger and more innovative at Gilead when we are informed by a diverse set of backgrounds, experiences and points of view. Gilead Sciences is a biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative therapeutics in areas of unmet medical need. The company's mission is to advance the care of patients suffering from life-threatening diseases worldwide.
When you join Gilead, you join our mission to change the world by enabling people to live healthier and more fulfilling lives. Come join a mission-driven bio-pharmaceutical organization that values inclusion and diversity, has a strong portfolio of products, and is constantly #CreatingPossibleFor Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site to apply for this job.
At Gilead we believe every employee deserves a great leader. As a people leader now or in the future, we expect that you will model and create an environment of inclusion, be intentionally focused on the hiring, development, growth and retention of talent, and empower teams to align and achieve goals.
The Senior Director of Materials Science will spearhead the technical support for selection, characterization, and performance of raw materials used in manufacturing and analytical testing for all biologics programs at Gilead. They will play an instrumental role in all phases of biologics development and will be an integral member of the Biologics Technical Development Leadership Team. Responsibilities:
- Building, leading and mentoring a best-in-class Materials Science function within Gilead's Biologics Technical Development organization and integrating this new function into Gilead technical, quality and business processes.
- Partnering with cross functional members in Gilead Pharmaceutical Development & Manufacturing (PDM), including Quality, Supply Chain, Manufacturing, Regulatory Affairs CMC, Finance and Technical Development to ensure successful commercialization of the late-stage portfolio, as well as on time delivery of clinical and commercial products.
- Establishing and co-leading a new cross functional Gilead Biologics Materials Strategy Team responsible for ensuring continuity of supply and identification/mitigation of materials risk associated with business continuity of supply of materials to Gilead manufacturing sites.
- Establishing a Gilead network of internal and external materials scientific expertise to provide technical support for the selection, qualification, characterization, and performance of materials used for the manufacturing and testing of Gilead's Biologics portfolio.
- Defining and implementing Materials Sciences Deliverables (timelines/milestones/budgets) that are consistent with Gilead's portfolio & functional priorities by balancing near term and longer-term objectives while ensuring a sustainable impact to technology and business objectives.
- Driving and influencing Global Industry Materials standards and Materials best practices.
- Oversee departmental budgeting.
People Leader Accountabilities
- A Ph.D. or M.S. in a relevant field with 12+ years in Material Sciences development, showcasing increasing responsibility and comprehensive experience
- Well acquainted with industry best practices, guidelines, and trends.
- Established as a recognized industry expertise in the science and risk of materials including proficiency in business tools, cGMP controls/systems, change management, risk management principles and relevant regulatory frameworks.
- Familiar with or have established relationships with major industry materials suppliers, knowledge of key material Consensus Standards for material selection and methods for identification and testing the material attributes including leachables and extractables.
- Effective team builder with proven leadership in a multidisciplinary setting.
- Outstanding communication, decision-making, and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to think strategically and translate strategies into actionable plans.
- Demonstrated ability to influence and shape industry standards with a notable presence in the scientific community.
- The ideal candidate will exhibit qualities like collaboration, accountability, cross-functional influence, strategic vision, and executive presence.
Gilead Core Values
- Create Inclusion - knowing the business value of diverse teams, modelling inclusion, and embedding the value of diversity in the way they manage their teams.
- Develop Talent - understand the skills, experience, aspirations and potential of their employees and coach them on current performance and future potential. They ensure employees are receiving the feedback and insight needed to grow, develop, and realize their purpose.
- Empower Teams - connect the team to the organization by aligning goals, purpose, organizational objectives and holding to account. They provide the support needed to remove barriers and connect their team to the broader ecosystem.
- Integrity (Doing What's Right)
- Inclusion (Encouraging Diversity)
- Teamwork (Working Together)
- Excellence (Being Your Best)
- Accountability (Taking Personal Responsibility)
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact email@example.com for assistance.
The salary range for this position is: $209,865.00 - $271,590.00. Gilead considers a variety of factors when determining base compensation, including experience, qualifications, and geographic location. These considerations mean actual compensation will vary. This position may also be eligible for a discretionary annual bonus, discretionary stock-based long-term incentives (eligibility may vary based on role), paid time off, and a benefits package. Benefits include company-sponsored medical, dental, vision, and life insurance plans*.
For additional benefits information, visit:
* Eligible employees may participate in benefit plans, subject to the terms and conditions of the applicable plans.
For jobs in the United States:
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact ApplicantAccommodations@gilead.com for assistance.
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the 'Know Your Rights' poster.
NOTICE: EMPLOYEE POLYGRAPH PROTECTION ACT
YOUR RIGHTS UNDER THE FAMILY AND MEDICAL LEAVE ACT
PAY TRANSPARENCY NONDISCRIMINATION PROVISION
Our environment respects individual differences and recognizes each employee as an integral member of our company. Our workforce reflects these values and celebrates the individuals who make up our growing team.
Gilead provides a work environment free of harassment and prohibited conduct. We promote and support individual differences and diversity of thoughts and opinion.
For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site to apply for this job.