Clinical Visiting Faculty, Deaf Studies and Deaf Education FTE:
CommensurateJob Summary/Basic Function:About This Role:
The University seeks an individual who is fluent in ASL, with high energy, enthusiasm, and a vision to contribute to the department's growth and development. The Department currently offers undergraduate coursework in ASL with three tracks: K-12 Teaching, Educational Interpreter, and ASL-General. Additionally, at the graduate level, the department offers two master's degree programs: one in Deaf Education and the other in Deaf Studies. The doctoral level comprises a well-established Ed.D. program in Deaf Studies and Deaf Education. Both the BA and MS programs offer coursework leading to teacher certification.What You'll Do - Position Responsibilities
Who We Are:
- Advising and counseling graduate majors in the Master's in Deaf Education program.
- Teaching master's courses within the Department, as program needs dictate.
- Serving on departmental, college, and university committees as required.
- Travel to Beaumont, TX once a month for in-person department meetings.
- Fulfilling other day-to-day responsibilities of the faculty position as necessary.
Lamar University is a diverse and accessible global university for life-long learners with a passion for broad-based community engagement. As a vital contributor to the socioeconomic wellbeing and resilience of the Gulf Coast region, our expertise is recognized locally and beyond. Lamar University is home to more than 17,000 students and is among the fastest growing Texas colleges and universities. LU is a member of The Texas State University System, which is the first higher education system of Texas and maintains the lowest average tuition and fees of any university system in Texas. With more than 100 degree options and a community that cares, Lamar students are always proud to be Cardinals.Lamar University is committed to fostering a culture of diversity where students, faculty and staff of all backgrounds can learn, work, and serve.Benefits:
At Lamar University one of the ways, we show value to our team members is by offering the following perks:
Minimum Qualifications (Education & Experience):
- Health, dental & vision insurance
- Life insurance
- State of Texas Retirement plans
- Tuition covered at 100% for employees, spouses and/or eligible dependent.
- Paid time off - vacation, sick, and holidays.
What You'll Need to Succeed - Minimum Qualifications
Preferred Qualifications (Education & Experience):
- An earned master's degree in Deaf Education, American Sign Language, Linguistics, or a closely related field plus a minimum of 18 earned doctoral level credit hours with K-12 teacher certification.
- Knowledge of Deaf culture and extensive personal and professional experiences within the Deaf community, as well as fluency in American Sign Language.
- Demonstrated teaching and presentation skills.
- Preference will be given to candidates who can demonstrate depth of knowledge and understanding in Deaf Education
- Are Native ASL users.
- Have university teaching experience.
Lamar University is An Equal Opportunity EmployerVeteran's Preference:
Lamar University is proud to provide employment preference to veteran applicants in accordance with Texas 805 Government Code, Section 657.003.Security Sensitive Statement:
This position is security-sensitive and thereby subject to the provisions of the Texas Education Code §51.215, which authorizes the employer to obtain criminal history record information.Lamar Expectation of Quality:
Employee will support the mission of Lamar by providing high quality, professional services, timely responses and solutions to customer requests.Open Date:
10/03/2023Open Until Filled:
YesSpecial Instructions to Applicants:
Applicants should submit a cover letter, a comprehensive curriculum vitae, and contact information for five references. Reference letters may be sent to: Chair of the Deaf Studies and Deaf Education Faculty Search Committee, c/o Human Resources Lamar University, P. O. Box 10113, Beaumont, Texas 77710.Quick Link for Direct Access to Posting: