Being a top performer in patient care, university education and scientific research is the main mission of UZ Leuven (University Hospitals Leuven) and KU Leuven (University of Leuven). In Belgium and Europe, we play a leading role, which we want to maintain and further expand. To this end, more than 10,000 passionate employees in UZ Leuven and more than 12,000 employees in KU Leuven combine their expertise every day. UZ Leuven became the first Belgian hospital to obtain the international JCI label for safe and quality care and was ranked 48th in the World’s best hospitals 2023 by the American magazine Newsweek. Since 2016, KU Leuven has been leading the Reuters list of Europe's most innovative universities (7th in the world). KU Leuven Dentistry currently occupies the 12th place in the QS World University Rankings, and is also ranked 22th in the Shanghai Academic Ranking of World Universities.
The Medical Department Dentistry aims to provide the best possible care to all patients and has a strong multidisciplinary team of experienced clinicians with extensive expertise. We want to be among the top centers for oral health care by excelling in the fields of patient care, university education and scientific research. In this context, the Medical Department Dentistry currently has a vacancy in the field of Paediatric & Special Care dentistry.
How will you break grounds?
As a staff member paediatric & special care dentistry (‘Kindertandheelkunde & Bijzondere zorgverlening’), your clinical work focusses on the treatment of paediatric patients and patients with special care needs, you teach and conduct research within the discipline and you coordinate the Master-after-Master program in Specialized Oral Care, more specifically the specialty training in Paediatric & Special Care dentistry, this in contribution to the Medical Department Dentistry and the Department of Oral Health Sciences
• The position is based on three pillars:
- Clinical care: as a medical staff member, you know how to work quality-oriented and innovative, and to provide excellent patient care in second- and third-line dental care. You have the appropriate attitude towards working with children and specific patient groups.
- Clinical scientific research: you have a proven track record in scientific research and want to actively contribute to the relevant domain. You publish in leading journals and supervise PhD students.
- Education and training: you give theoretical and practical courses to students of the Bachelor/Master basic Dentistry training, as well as to students of the Masterafter-Master in Specialized Oral Health Care, more specifically Paediatric & Special Care dentistry. You organize training courses for dentists in the context of Continuing Education.
• In a positive spirit of interdisciplinary collaboration and patient orientation, you build constructive relationships and show strong communication skills in terms of consultation, information flows and teamwork.
• You can rely on your organizational talent and know how to set the right priorities and keep structure, even under stressful circumstances.
• In terms of people management, you can manage and inspire colleagues and collaborators, or you are willing to develop these competencies.
• You advance the vision and values of UZ Leuven as an international medical expert and of KU Leuven as a leading educational and research university institution.
• You represent the Medical Department Dentistry and the subdiscipline Paediatric & Special Care dentistry (‘Kindertandheelkunde & Bijzondere zorgverlening') within UZ Leuven and KU Leuven, in professional organizations, as well as in a number of governmental institutions.
• You strengthen existing partnerships and create new ones with national and international organizations in the field of Paediatric & Special Care dentistry.
• You are responsible for the organization of the specialist training in Pediatric Dentistry & Special Care.
• The staff member is offered the opportunity to treat patients privately during own consultation moments.
What do you need?
• You are recognized as a General Dentist in Belgium or are willing to apply for recognition.
• You are recognized as an internship trainer in the context of the 1-year internship training General Dentistry or are willing to obtain it.
• You have received additional training in paediatric and/or special care dentistry.
• You obtained a PhD after publicly defending your doctoral thesis.
• You have a clear clinical and scientific track record.
• You have a thorough knowledge of the current treatment protocols in dentistry and are highly skilled in the advanced diagnostics and treatment techniques in the mentioned discipline.
• You are willing to participate in the supervision of the dental emergency service.
• A good knowledge of Dutch and English is a requirement, and mastery of French is a plus.
• You are communicative in your relationship with colleagues, students and staff, and can work well in a team.
Candidates who do not master the Dutch language sufficiently yet, are expected to master Dutch within 2 years and achieve ERK level B2 to be able to provide dental care, other services and education in Dutch properly.
What do you get in return?
A challenging position in an exciting and complex university hospital environment with many development opportunities at a professional level.
• A tenured staff position with numerous extralegal benefits.
• After a trial period of 12 months and a positive evaluation, you will be able to join the Permanent Dental Staff (VTS) of the Medical Department Dentistry and its subdepartment of Paediatric & Special Care dentistry.
• Possibility to be appointed as a KU Leuven Clinical Lecturer for the academic teaching assignment.
• After one year, possibility to apply for a 20% part-time academic staff (ZAP) position (KU Leuven, Department of Oral Health Sciences) if human resource units to this end are available, while also meeting the research profile requirements.
Ready to break grounds?
Send your application letter with extensive curriculum vitae, mentioning the title and reference number of the vacancy (2404), before 15/03/2024 to UZ Leuven, General Management, attn. the Chief Medical Officer Prof. G. Van Assche, Herestraat 49, 3000 Leuven or by e-mail to email@example.com, with a copy to UZ Leuven, Medical Dental Department Dentistry, attn. Prof. Guy Willems, Kapucijnenvoer 7 block a - bus 7001, 3000 Leuven or by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.