Help us change lives
At Exact Sciences, we're helping change how the world prevents, detects and guides treatment for cancer. We give patients and clinicians the clarity needed to make confident decisions when they matter most. Join our team to find a purpose-driven career, an inclusive culture, and robust benefits to support your life while you're working to help others. Position Overview
The Health Economics and Outcomes Research (HEOR) Field Director is the field-based scientific lead for HEOR in U.S. settings, with responsibility to manage interactions by HEOR with U.S. National and Organized Customer Group (OCG) accounts on a portfolio basis, covering the Western US.
U.S. population-based healthcare decision makers have specialized needs with respect to the technical sophistication and type of HEOR/RWD (real world data) related evidence required to make optimal decisions for the care of populations. The HEOR Field Director supports the evidence requirements by engaging as a field-based scientific professional directly with U.S. population-based healthcare decision makers to identify key scientific questions and evidence gaps, provide insights to support HEOR and medical plans, and to facilitate real world research and other collaborations, as appropriate. The HEOR Field Director supports HEOR's objectives to generate, translate, and communicate real world evidence to U.S. healthcare decision makers to demonstrate the value of Exact Sciences products and inform appropriate decision making.
This position is field based. Essential Duties
Include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Facilitate HEOR research collaborations and engage with internal HEOR research resources to deliver insights on evidence gaps, and support execution of key projects aligned with Exact Sciences strategy.
- Engage in sophisticated value conversations with decision makers who require expertise in health economics, outcomes research, real-world evidence generation, and value assessment.
- Identify current and future real-world evidence requirements and methodologies, and effectively convey insights internally to ensure customers' value-based evidence requirements are met.
- Engage as appropriate in HEOR related scientific discussions and communications regarding economic models and real-world evidence findings, using approved materials.
- Conduct peer-to-peer level value discussions with HEOR experts within OCGs, health technology assessment, or value framework organizations; including, but not limited to, the Institute for Clinical and Economic Review, and the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality.
- Maintain a strong understanding of the evolving U.S. healthcare environment and implications for HEOR strategy.
- Maintain strong, consistent relationships with customers and HEOR key thought leaders, such that they are viewed as a trusted scientific advisor on HEOR topics.
- Manage account requirements for HEOR topics on a portfolio basis and serve as the primary HEOR field point of contact.
- Collaborate closely with field and internal medical resources to ensure customers' information needs are fully met, and coordination is optimized.
- Ensure compliance with applicable standard operating procedures (SOPs) in all activities.
- Support internal training initiatives on HEOR methodologies and application, as appropriate.
- Communicate complex pharmacoeconomic principles and evidence to decision makers with different levels of knowledge, as well as internal partners, to inform and support healthcare decision making.
- Utilize economic models, systematic reviews, and other technical tools with expertise.
- Serve as principal field-based HEOR point of contact for population and value-based decision makers within designated OCGs; including, but not limited to, pharmacy directors, medical directors, quality, and health outcomes and analytics teams.
- Identify appropriate collaboration opportunities and communicate and support internally.
- Represent the evidence needs of health care decision makers to HEOR and other internal stakeholders to ensure that unmet needs are identified and prioritized in planning processes.
- Facilitate real-world research, health services, and other partnerships between Exact Sciences and investigators, and collaborate internally to ensure assessment of ethical considerations, scientific merit, and the technical feasibility of proposed studies.
- Uphold company mission and values through accountability, innovation, integrity, quality, and teamwork.
- Support and comply with the company's Quality Management System policies and procedures.
- Maintain regular and reliable attendance.
- Ability to act with an inclusion mindset and model these behaviors for the organization.
- Ability to work on a mobile device, tablet, or in front of a computer screen and/or perform typing for approximately 90% of a typical working day.
- Ability to travel 50% of working time away from work location, may include overnight/weekend travel.
- Ph.D. in Health Economics, Outcomes Research, Epidemiology, or field related to the essential duties of the job; or Master's Degree in Health Economics, Outcomes Research, Epidemiology, or field related to the essential duties of the job and 2 years of relevant experience as outlined in the essential duties in lieu of Ph.D.
- 10+ years of experience with a history of excellent performance success and progressive advancement in relevant field-based, or other pharmacoeconomic professional roles in the pharmaceutical industry or a managed care, public sector, academic organization, HEOR research organization, or other setting in which responsibilities included population-based healthcare management and/or clinical/pharmacoeconomic communications.
- Advanced understanding of national healthcare management settings and stakeholders.
- Advanced scientific understanding of HEOR, combined with professional working knowledge of the U.S. healthcare system.
- Demonstrated ability to provide scientific and technical communication to meet the scientific evidence needs of sophisticated evidence-driven, population-based healthcare decision makers; including, but not limited to, health plans, health systems, long term care, and U.S. healthcare policy makers.
- Demonstrated proficiency in the use and communication of findings of health economic models and other healthcare decision support tools to appropriately inform healthcare decision making.
- Possession of a valid driver's license; no suspended, revoked, surrendered, invalid, etc. allowed.
- No more than two moving violations, events, or accidents within the last 36 months.
- No alcohol or drug event in which a vehicle was driven by the candidate or employee, including but not limited to Blood Alcohol Content (BAC) failure, refusal to submit to alcohol or drug test, alcohol related suspension, etc. in the last 36 months.
- No other results from the Motor Vehicle Report (MVR) check that exposes Exact Sciences to what Exact Sciences deems to be an unacceptable level of liability.
- Authorization to work in the United States without sponsorship.
- Demonstrated ability to perform the Essential Duties of the position with or without accommodation.
- Ph.D. in Health Economics or field related to the essential duties of the job.
- Strong scientific, health services and outcomes research, and pharmacoeconomic training and experience.
- Excellent understanding of the evolving U.S. healthcare system and population-based healthcare delivery.
$174,000.00 - $277,000.00
The annual base salary shown is a national range for this position on a full-time basis and may differ by hiring location. In addition, this position is bonus eligible, and is eligible to receive company stock upon hire as well as annually.
Exact Sciences is proud to offer an employee experience that includes paid time off (including days for vacation, holidays, volunteering, and personal time), paid leave for parents and caregivers, a retirement savings plan, wellness support, and health benefits including medical, prescription drug, dental, and vision coverage. Learn more about our benefits.
Our success relies on the experiences and perspectives of a diverse team, and Exact Sciences fosters a culture where all employees can develop personally and professionally with a sense of respect and belonging. If you require an accommodation, email email@example.com. We'll work with you to meet your accessibility needs.
Not ready to apply? Join our talent community and stay up to date on what's new at Exact Sciences.
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, creed, disability, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, and any other status protected by applicable local, state, or federal law. Any applicant or employee may request to view applicable portions of the company's affirmative action program.
To view the Right to Work, E-Verify Employer, and Pay Transparency notices and Federal, Federal Contractor, and State employment law posters, visit our compliance hub. The documents summarize important details of the law and provide key points that you have a right to know.