Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals and branded generic medicines. Our 115,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries. Nourish the world and your career as part of the Nutrition team at Abbott.
Our Nutrition business develops science-based nutrition products for people of all ages, from helping babies and children grow, to keeping adult bodies strong and active. Millions of people around the world count on our leading brands including Similac, PediaSure, Pedialyte, Ensure, Glucerna and ZonePerfect to help get the nutrients they need to live their healthiest life.
For over 70 years, Abbotts Sturgis, Mich.
, has been impacting its community while producing products that provide essential nutrition to millions of families around the world. Working here, youll feel part of a family that is dedicated to making a difference and helping others. WHAT WE OFFER
At Abbott, you can have a good job that can grow into a great career. We offer:
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Production areas that are clean, well-lit and temperature-controlled
- Training and career development, with onboarding programs for new employees and tuition assistance
- Financial security through competitive compensation, incentives and retirement plans
- Health care and well-being programs including medical, dental, vision, wellness and occupational health programs, Medical Benefits start day 1
- Free medical coverage for employees* via the Health Investment Plan (HIP) PPO
- Vacation 3 weeks of accrued vacation (1st yr is prorated) + vacation buy program + 3 personal days + 10 paid holidays
- Company Paid Pension Plan
- 401(k) retirement savings with a generous company match
- Tuition reimbursement, the Freedom 2 Save student debt program and FreeU education benefit - an affordable and convenient path to getting a bachelors degree.
- A company recognized as a great place to work in dozens of countries around the world and named one of the most admired companies in the world by Fortune.
- A company that is recognized as one of the best big companies to work for as well as a best place to work for diversity, working mothers, female executives, and scientists.
- A stable company with a record of strong financial performance and history of being actively involved in local communities
An Assistant Chemist I is responsible for testing the necessary raw ingredient, in process, and finished product as prescribed in the various quality procedures and assuring specifications and quality guidelines are met. The incumbent is responsible for producing the highest quality results while operating within the constraints of the manufacturing schedule and safety guidelines. They are responsible for maintaining good manufacturing practices and good laboratory practices. The chemist I is responsible for developing positive relations with other chemists and operators from other departments that interact with the laboratory. The incumbent is also responsible for providing timely feedback to the chemist following them, their lead chemist, and their supervisor as to the status of their area of responsibility.
PAY & SHIFT
- Responsible for implementing and maintaining the effectiveness of the quality system
- Responsible for analytical testing on raw ingredients, in-process and finished product, and plant utilities. This also includes testing for release of product to manufacturing for further processing, filling, and finishing.
- Obtain and test environmental samples for compliance to specifications outlined in the Lab Methods Manual
- Maintain their training documents and drive training
- Identify and solve immediate problems with some assistance from the supervisor, and from the Chemist II, and Chemist III.
- Initiate troubleshooting for minor testing problems
- Recognize and report method procedure problems, and out-of-specification conditions, and perform all Chemist I functions
- Identify out-of-specification conditions and initiate investigation into the cause of quality concerns and correct minor problems concerning test results.
This position has a base hourly pay rate of $26/hr + 5% shift premium when working night shift hours. This position is for 3rd shift working 11:30pm until 8:00am. EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE YOU'LL BRING Required
Learn more about our benefits that add real value to your life to help you live fully:
- High school diploma/GED
- 1 year of appropriate college lab studies, 1 year of college mathematics (algebra, geometry, trigonometry or calculus), AND 2 years of laboratory experience OR 4 years experience in a food or pharmaceutical manufacturing environment.
- OR a Science related Associates Degree with at least 1 year of appropriate college lab studies and 1 year of college mathematics (algebra, geometry, trigonometry or calculus), plus 1 year of related laboratory experience OR 2 years experience in a food or pharmaceutical manufacturing environment.
- OR a Science related Bachelors Degree with at least 1 year of appropriate college lab studies and 1 year of college mathematics (algebra, geometry, trigonometry or calculus).
Follow your career aspirations to Abbott for diverse opportunities with a company that provides the growth and strength to build your future. Abbott is an Equal Opportunity and Military/Veteran friendly Employer, committed to employee diversity.
Connect with us at www.abbott.com, on Facebook at www.facebook.com/Abbott and on Twitter @AbbottNews
The base pay for this position is $18.25 $36.45 per hour. In specific locations, the pay range may vary from the range posted.