Ott Lab Description:
We are seeking a highly skilled and motivated Research Scientist/Senior Research Associate specializing in invivo research to join our dynamic research team. The selected candidate will be responsible for executing invivo research experiments in our state-of-the-art animal BSL3 lab. This role will involve designing and conducting experiments, managing animal colonies, and contributing to virology research in an ABSL3 environment.
1. Experimental Design and Collaboration: Design relevant small animal research experiments, both independently and in collaboration with internal and external research collaborators. Leverage expertise to ensure the successful execution of research initiatives within the BSL3 environment.
2. Animal Management and Research Activities: Perform ABSL3-relevant research activities using small animal models to study viral pathogenesis, transmission, and screening of pharmacological inhibitors. Manage all aspects of animal colonies, including acquisition, breeding, genotyping etc. Conduct tissue processing and perform endpoint experiments such as virus titration and prepare samples for immune response assessments.
3. Virology Research in BSL3 Setting: Conduct BSL3-relevant in vitro activities in virology, including the propagation of viruses in cell lines, titrations, quality control, infections, and experimental perturbations. Prepare samples for downstream project-specific assays, including qRTPCR, cell fixation and other relevant procedures.
4. Lab Operations and Biosafety Compliance: Ensure adherence to biosafety and security standards in the ABSL3 environment. Implement and maintain common laboratory standard operating procedures and processes in accordance with state and federal regulations. Perform routine activities essential for the smooth functioning of the ABSL3 lab.
- PhD (preferred) or BS/BA, MS/MA in Biology, Microbiology, Immunology, Molecular Biology, or related field
- 7+ years of related experience for individuals with a BS/BA
- 5+ years of related experience for individuals with a MS/MA
- Or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- 2+ years of extensive hands-on experience with handling of and research activities in small animal models such as mice, rats, or hamsters
- 2+ years of experience performing experiments and training other individuals in BSL2 and/or BSL3 laboratories
- Outstanding communication skills, attention to detail, organizational skills, and ability to work on several projects in parallel as part of a team
- PhD preferred
- Experience working with small animal models, mammalian cell culture, general molecular biology, and virology assays.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively with individuals from diverse backgrounds
Senior Research Associate - $80K-$95K
Research Scientist- $89K- $105K Gladstone Perks & Benefits
- People-work with talented, committed, and supportive teammates within an organization that values each member of its community.
- A meaningful place to grow and learn-whether it's your professional skills or scientific knowledge, we have the resources and environment to advance either so you can better support Gladstone's mission to drive a new era of discovery in disease-oriented science and to mentor tomorrow's leaders in an inspiring and diverse environment.
- Healthy work/life balance-you are highly engaged and productive at work because you can have time to recharge and enjoy a vibrant life outside of work.
- Compensation-competitive salary. Title and salary will be commensurate with education and experience.
- Excellent benefits-generous medical, dental, vision, retirement plan, paid vacation, commuter benefits, access to free shuttle transportation.
Gladstone is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, medical condition, physical or mental disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other non-job related characteristic. We make all employment decisions so as to further this principle of equal employment.