The Natural Sciences Department at Flagler College is seeking a full-time, 12-month, science lab manager. The Lab Manager will enhance the Natural Sciences program by directly supporting students and faculty, managing facilities and equipment, assuring safe laboratory procedures, and coordinating compliance with federal, state, and local regulations. In order to do so, the Lab Manager must have a working knowledge of a diverse range of topics including chemistry, biology, geology, physics, science education, information technology, equipment maintenance, and government regulations. The Lab Manager must be extremely organized to plan and schedule a myriad of lab activities and extremely flexible to respond quickly to needs that arise. Responsibilities
- Establish a culture of safety, good laboratory practices and teamwork
- Support faculty teaching activities in the lab or in the field by preparing equipment and supplies. Necessary skills include equipment calibration and maintenance, chemical preparation, aseptic technique, autoclave sterilization, media preparation, and light microscopy.
- Support student and faculty investigations and projects by assisting in method development, supply procurement, field work, processing samples, compiling data, or other tasks.
- Develop and implement safety and training procedures for faculty and students to assure the safe use of the labs across a range of activities by people with varying levels of experience. Promote culture of safety and good decision making.
- Evaluate, develop, recommend, and implement novel laboratory activities and pedagogical strategies particularly for Environmental Science and Biology classes.
- Maintain scientific instrumentation and computers across four teaching labs, and auxiliary research and prep areas in good working order.
- Develop regular maintenance routines and logs. Perform or oversee repair and maintenance of microscopes, balances, autoclave, deionization systems, laboratory refrigerators and freezers, ice makers, and other scientific equipment
- Prepare, maintain, and dispose of chemical reagents and hazardous materials in a safe and approved manner.
- Provide care to biological organisms and assure the safe handling and disposal of biological hazards.
- Manage, supervise, and train work-study students to support all lab operations.
- Coordinate and supervise paid and unpaid science tutors in the Learning Resource Center. Recruit and train new tutors, manage tutoring schedules, and publicize the tutoring program through outreach events and promotions.
- Coordinate with Department Chair to track expenses and participate in the budgeting process, participate in short- and long-term goal setting, and identify and advocate for laboratory needs (space, equipment, supplies)
- Work with Maintenance and Housekeeping to keep the laboratory facilities and equipment clean and safe.
- Coordinate with the Environmental, Health and Safety department to maintain a safe environment and achieve compliance with applicable local, state, and federal laws and regulations.
- Coordinate with the Purchasing department the ordering, receipt, inventory, and payment of laboratory supplies.
- Coordinate with the campus planner, architects, and contractors to implement lab improvement projects.
- Maintain expertise in field of lab management, student learning, safety, and government regulations through continuing education and by attending trainings and conferences when appropriate.
- Drives College vehicles/cart
- Additional duties as needed
- A bachelor' s degree in Biological Sciences, Chemistry, Marine Science, or a related field is required;
- Candidates must be highly organized with excellent time management skills and be able to work independently and in a team
- Must be able to work with a large and diverse group of people, including faculty, staff, students, and vendors
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to prioritize tasks and to delegate them when appropriate
- Experience with instrument troubleshooting
- Must be able to lift and carry equipment and supplies weighing up to 30 pounds
- Must be able to bend, stoop, and reach
- Manual dexterity to efficiently operate a computer keyboard and other business machines
Flagler College is a private liberal arts college located in St. Augustine, Florida. Founded in 1968, our mission is to enrich lives by creating a thoughtful, personalized experience in a supportive educational community.
READY TO JOIN OUR COMMUNITY?
We are here to help. Please review our current job openings and benefit offerings to determine if Flagler College is the place for you.
Flagler College provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, gender, religion, national origin, age, disability, marital status, familial status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other protected characteristic. Flagler College complies with applicable federal, state and local laws governing non discrimination in employment in every College facility. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Inquiries regarding discrimination on the basis of sex and gender may be referred to the Title IX Coordinator, Office for Civil Rights (OCR), or both. Contact information for the Title IX Coordinator, OCR, and the College's Sexual Harassment Policy can be found here: www.flagler.edu/title-ix.