Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals and branded generic medicines. Our 115,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
Abbotts Nutrition Division develops science-based nutrition products for people of all ages, from helping babies and children grow, to keeping adult bodies strong and active. Millions of people around the world count on our leading brands including Similac, PediaSure, Pedialyte, Ensure, Glucerna and ZonePerfect to help get the nutrients they need to live their healthiest life. Altavista, Va.,
is one of Abbotts largest nutrition manufacturing plants equipped with advanced technology to ensure efficient production. Working here will make you feel like youre part of a family that works together to make a difference and help nourish millions of families around the world. WORKING AT ABBOTT
At Abbott, you can have a good job that can grow into a great career. We offer:
Learn more about our benefits that add real value to your life to help you live fully:
- Fast paced work environment where your safety is our priority
- Production areas that are clean, well-lit and temperature-controlled
- Training and career development, with onboarding programs for new employees and tuition assistance
- Financial security through competitive compensation, incentives and retirement plans
- Health care and well-being programs including medical, dental, vision, wellness and occupational health programs, Medical Benefits start day 1
- Vacation 3 weeks accrued vacation (1st yr is prorated) + vacation buy program + 3 personal days + 10 paid holidays
- Company Paid Pension Plan
- 401(k) retirement savings with a generous company match of 5%
- Tuition reimbursement, the Freedom 2 Save student debt program and FreeU education benefit - an affordable and convenient path to getting a bachelors degree.
- A company recognized as a great place to work in dozens of countries around the world and named one of the most admired companies in the world by Fortune.
- A company that is recognized as one of the best big companies to work for as well as a best place to work for diversity, working mothers, female executives, and scientists.
- The stability of a company with a record of strong financial performance and history of being actively involved in local communities
www.abbottbenefits.com The Opportunity
This Assistant Chemist I position works out of our Altavista, VA location in the Abbott Nutrition Division. What Youll Work On
- Observe all safety rules and regulations. Report incidents, near-misses, and chemical spills in the proper manner to chemist acting as shift lead, front line leader, or manager.
- Wear all required personal protective equipment, participate in Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) programs, and forward any opportunities for improvement.
- Perform assays in accordance with required methods. Ensure test results meet specification limits and that appropriate quality actions are taken to achieve acceptable product status.
- Ensure data is entered into a Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS) as well as any other applicable systems or documented on appropriate forms.
- Coordinate testing with processing stages and filling or drying requirements to ensure minimum downtime during processing, filling or drying operations.
- Set batch yields, optimize and release product to the filling or dryer production departments from the processing department.
- Perform finished product tests, including line monitoring, dilution, and carryover.
- Conduct non-routine testing (e.g., deviation, engineering studies) under certification or validation protocols, and assist with investigations of testing issues as required.
- Complete project work as assigned.
Youll be accountable for meeting our compliance standards including FDA, OSHA and Abbott policies and procedures. Pay and Shift
The hourly pay for this position is $22.50 and this is for 3rd shift working Monday through Friday 10:00 pm to 6:30 am. Required Qualifications
- High School Diploma / GED
- 1 semester of appropriate college science-related studies and/or 1 semester of college mathematics (algebra, geometry, or calculus) and/or 1 year laboratory experience or an equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- Physical requirements for lifting and pushing 20-25 lbs. in addition to normal laboratory work.
- Bachelors degree Preferred; science-related with 1 year of appropriate college lab studies and 1 year of college mathematics (algebra, geometry, or calculus).
- Follow verbal and written instructions, prepare simple reports, read and record gauge and display readings and use knowledge of chemistry acquired through formal education with moderate assistance from supervision.
- Mathematics knowledge to include addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, decimals, fractions, proportions, and basic keyboard skills, computer skills, and statistical comprehension is desirable.
- Communicate effectively with other chemists, operators, and management with varying levels of education and experience.
* Participants who complete a short wellness assessment qualify for FREE coverage in our HIP PPO medical plan. Free coverage applies in the next calendar year. Learn more about our health and wellness benefits, which provide the security to help you and your family live full lives:
Follow your career aspirations to Abbott for diverse opportunities with a company that can help you build your future and live your best life. Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to employee diversity and a Military/Veteran Friendly employer.
Connect with us at www.abbott.com, on Facebook at www.facebook.com/Abbott and on Twitter @AbbottNews and @AbbottGlobal.
The base pay for this position is $18.25 $36.45 per hour. In specific locations, the pay range may vary from the range posted.