Why Patients Need You
Pfizer's Worldwide Medical and Safety colleagues play a key role in connecting evidenced based, medical decision support with colleagues and stakeholders to enable better health and treatment outcomes. Whether you are creating framework necessary to ensure our evidence is scientifically sound, providing unbiased, medically necessary expertise or investigating how to close gaps in data, our mission is simple. Empower healthcare decisions regarding the safe and appropriate use of medicines for patients. What You Will Achieve
At Pfizer, we are looking to significantly transform our ability to understand diseases across all stages of drug development and help accelerate our ability to bring breakthroughs that impact patients' lives. In your role, you will be joining a team which conducts Pfizer's epidemiology research and the treatment of investigational new drugs observational safety studies of marketed products, general epidemiologic studies and protocols.
Your leadership skills and innovative ideas with drive the growth of the Epidemiology team at Pfizer. As an advisor and an expert, you will be able to build and leverage constructive relationships across the organi z ation to achieve your division's goals and objectives. You will be entrusted with developing Pfizer's strategies for a portfolio of products and projects.
Through your expertise and extensive knowledge, you will be able to foster a culture that promotes innovation and thrives on doing better for patients and healthcare. Job Description
Pfizer's Global Medical Epidemiology (GME) group conducts research, often using large, external data bases, to generate a better understanding of disease context and medical outcomes and improve medical decision-making. The three pillars of GME's remit are: (i) Regulatory Use of Epidemiology Data, (ii) Disease Natural History Studies to inform Clinical Trial Design, and (iii) Epidemiology Data for Quantitative Benefit-Risk Assessment. GME's impacts include improving the efficiency and likelihood of success of early phase clinical trials, building more robust benefit-risk profiles to provide a more thorough assessment of new products, and incorporating these insights to support regulatory filings. GME's value is based on deeper understanding of disease that improves quality and precision of Pfizer medical decisions. The mission of GME is to employ the scientific methods and principles of epidemiology to secure regulatory approval, accelerate clinical development, and build benefit-risk profiles.
We are looking for a collaborative and innovative team member to join GME and contribute to our mission of understanding diseases across all stages of drug development, which accelerates the availability of breakthrough medicines that impact patients' lives. The Associate Director, Epidemiology Scientist position provides an opportunity for an epidemiologist to play an essential role in advancing the generation of real-world evidence and its application to drug development. This role requires someone with strong technical expertise, analytic ability, creativity and communication skills.
As an Associate Director, Epidemiology Scientist , your advanced knowledge of the principles and concepts in the discipline and comprehensive knowledge of other disciplines will enable you to lead complex projects across the division. Your ability to develop and manage plans will facilitate in achieving objectives, interpreting internal and external business challenges and recommending best practices for improvements. While managing complex project environments, you will be able to anticipate and troubleshoot roadblocks and influence teams to achieve targets for the division.
Specifically, the position will support safety risk contextualization and regulatory epidemiology activities for all therapeutic areas (with a focus in Oncology and Infectious Disease). GME colleagues are located in New York, Boston, MA, Collegeville, PA or (Seattle area) Bothell, WA . Role Responsibilities
Propose and produce GME deliverables for development and product/asset teams, including:
• Background safety epidemiology studies and disease natural history studies.
• Indicated standing cohorts and population cohorts for external control arms and/or regulatory submission.
• Feasibility assessments and identification of fit-for-purpose data for observational research
• Other epidemiology studies (e.g., special subpopulations, new indications)
• Critical assessment and review of epidemiological data and literature
• Design and implement primary or secondary data collection or hybrid design pharmacoepidemiologic studies intended to quantify benefits and/or risks potentially associated with Pfizer products
• Participate in GME peer review of study protocols and reports
• Support multiple product teams on epidemiology related issues
• Work collaboratively with key stakeholders internally (such as Clinical, Medical, Regulatory, Outcomes Research, and Data Scientists) and externally (such as academics, regulators, vendors)
• Provide support of and/or attend FDA Advisory Committee meetings and EMA Oral Explanations and other related interactions and negotiations with regulatory agencies on epidemiologic issues as needed Qualifications Basic Qualifications
- Bachelor's Degree (BS/BA) and 9 + years of experience .
- Ability to implement large-scale change in complex, matrix organizations .
- Writing skills related to epidemiological sections of scientific documents such as research summaries, publications, grant proposals, risk management plans, etc.
- Candidate demonstrates a breadth of diverse leadership experiences and capabilities including: the ability to influence and collaborate with peers, develop and coach others, oversee and guide the work of other colleagues to achieve meaningful outcomes and create business impact.
- Master's degree (MA/MS/MBA) and 7+ years of experience .
- Doctoral degree (PhD/PharmD/JD) and 4+ years of experience.
- DVM degree.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and the ability to work cross-functionally and collaborate with internal stakeholders and shared services customers.
- Strength in computational skills and extensive experience with the design, specification and delivery of statistical computing environments and platforms/solutions.
Work Location Assignment:Hybrid; must be onsite min 2.5 days average per week
The annual base salary for this position ranges from $109,400.00 to $182,300.00. In addition, this position is eligible for participation in Pfizer's Global Performance Plan with a bonus target of 15.0% of the base salary and eligibility to participate in our share based long term incentive program. We offer comprehensive and generous benefits and programs to help our colleagues lead healthy lives and to support each of life's moments. Benefits offered include a 401(k) plan with Pfizer Matching Contributions and an additional Pfizer Retirement Savings Contribution, paid vacation, holiday and personal days, paid caregiver/parental and medical leave, and health benefits to include medical, prescription drug, dental and vision coverage. Learn more at Pfizer Candidate Site - U.S. Benefits | (uscandidates.mypfizerbenefits.com). Pfizer compensation structures and benefit packages are aligned based on the location of hire. The United States salary range provided does not apply to Tampa, FL or any location outside of the United States.
Relocation assistance may be available based on business needs and/or eligibility.Sunshine Act
Pfizer reports payments and other transfers of value to health care providers as required by federal and state transparency laws and implementing regulations. These laws and regulations require Pfizer to provide government agencies with information such as a health care provider's name, address and the type of payments or other value received, generally for public disclosure. Subject to further legal review and statutory or regulatory clarification, which Pfizer intends to pursue, reimbursement of recruiting expenses for licensed physicians may constitute a reportable transfer of value under the federal transparency law commonly known as the Sunshine Act. Therefore, if you are a licensed physician who incurs recruiting expenses as a result of interviewing with Pfizer that we pay or reimburse, your name, address and the amount of payments made currently will be reported to the government. If you have questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact your Talent Acquisition representative. EEO & Employment Eligibility
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.