The School of Data Science (SDS) at the University of Virginia (UVA) seeks a postdoctoral research associate to work in collaboration with Don Brown, PhD and Sana Syed, MD, MS. This position involves active participation in a multidisciplinary and high-energy research lab funded through the U.S. National Institute of Health (NIH) and other national foundations. The overarching goal of this lab is to personalize care for pediatric patients suffering from chronic GI disease by improving diagnostics, predicting future disease complications, and identifying better disease biomarkers and novel drug targets. Details about the Gastro Science Lab and the Syed lab can be found at https://gastrodatasciencelab.org/ and https://med.virginia.edu/sana-syed-lab/ .
This is a one-year appointment; however, appointment may be renewed for an additional year contingent upon available funding and satisfactory performance
The focus of this research project is to conduct multi-modal tissue analysis and perform gene correlations to investigate the underlying causes of disease and the molecular baseline of healthy tissue. The postdoctoral associate will be responsible for designing and implementing an algorithm to automatically detect and classify cell types duodenal biopsy tissues from healthy pediatric patients and those with inflammatory bowel disease. This research team provides an exceptional opportunity for postdoctoral investigators to thrive and grow as experts in the integration of data science and medicine.
Postdoctoral data science research associates provide sophisticated data management and analysis to support University projects or programs. They focus primarily on learning and applying high-level data projections and statistical analysis. They independently manage the design and programming of all data entry forms and cooperatively devise new hypotheses as their project evolves. Postdoctoral associates will oversee regular assessments of reliability, submit data on a monthly basis, and assist with literature searches pertinent to their various research projects.
The successful candidate will:
* Demonstrate expertise in troubleshooting problems and recommending solutions.
* Have a strong ability to work independently and function well as part of a team.
* Pay great attention to detail and take pride in their work.
* Have strong organizational and timeline management skills.
* Work in a professional manner and have a strong willingness to learn and improve.
* Independently and creatively analyze data to develop, test, or refine hypotheses.
* Visualize and report data findings creatively in a variety of visual formats to support research presentations, manuscripts, and grant applications.
* Formulate and define analytic scope and objectives through research and fact-finding as a self-starter.
* Have a strong motivation to learn and succeed as a trainee preparing for future independence.
* In addition, other duties may be assigned.
* PhD degree in mechanical engineering, computer science, or related fields, to be completed by the start date of the appointment.
* Proficient computer programming skills in languages.
* Experience in bioinformatics and AI/ML modeling approaches such as: metabolic modeling, convolutional neural networks, and Gradient-weighted Class Activation Mapping.
* Understand all phases of the research process including hypothesis generation data collection, preparation, modeling, evaluation.
Please visit UVA job board: https://jobs.virginia.edu/UVAJobs and search for " R0057360 "
Complete an application and attach:
* Cover Letter
* Curriculum Vitae
Please note that multiple documents can be uploaded in the box.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Review of applications will begin February 19, 2024 and continue until the position is filled. The University will perform background checks on all new hires prior to employment.
For questions about the position, please contact: Adam Greene, Research Program Officer ( firstname.lastname@example.org ) For questions about the application process, please contact: Rhiannon O'Coin ( email@example.com )
For more information about the School of Data Science, please see www.datascience.virginia.edu
For more information about the University of Virginia and the Charlottesville community, please see www.virginia.edu/life/charlottesville and www.embarkuva.com
For more information about benefits available to postdoctoral associates at UVA, visit www.postdoc.virginia.edu and www.hr.virginia.edu/benefits
The selected candidate will be required to complete a background check at the time of the offer per University policy.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: This is primarily a sedentary job involving extensive use of desktop computers. The job does occasionally require traveling some distance to attend meetings, and programs.
The University of Virginia, i ncluding the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician's Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.