The Talent Acquisition department hires qualified candidates to fill positions which contribute to the overall strategic success of Howard University. Hiring staff "for fit" makes significant contributions to Howard University's overall mission. BASIC FUNCTION:
The purpose of this position is to serve as the Senior Research Scientist for the Research Institute for Tactical Autonomy (RITA), University Affiliated Research Center (UARC).
The Senior Research Scientist of RITA will lead the center in advancing cutting-edge research in AI/ML, ensuring alignment with Howard University's strategic goals and compliance with U.S. Air Force requirements. This role involves strategic leadership, interdisciplinary research oversight, and stakeholder collaboration. The primary function is to provide the vision and leadership to ensure success. SUPERVISORY ACCOUNTABILITY:
Responsible for overseeing research teams, managing faculty collaborations, and coordinating with external partners, including the Department of Defense and the Air Force Research Lab. NATURE AND SCOPE:
Internal contacts include university executives, faculty, and staff across various departments. External contacts encompass federal government representatives, industry partners, and other research institutions. The role demands a high level of interaction for strategic planning, research coordination, and compliance assurance. PRINCIPAL ACCOUNTABILITIES:
- Lead and direct the RITA UARC research initiatives, aligning its research and operational activities with the strategic objectives of Howard University and the U.S. Air Force.
- Foster an environment of innovation in AI/ML research, ensuring the delivery of high-impact projects and maintaining the UARC's position at the forefront of technological advancements.
- Ensure compliance with all relevant regulations and contractual obligations, overseeing the center's administrative and financial operations in coordination with the OOR.
- Provide guidance and strategic vision with UARC's consortium members to develop compelling research proposals for RITA's sponsors.
- Oversees laboratory budgets, projects, and resources
- Develops and mentors laboratory personnel and leadership
- Communicates and collaborates with sponsors, lab personnel, RITA leadership, consortium members, and the Howard University Research Community
- Establishes and maintains a RITA Research Leadership Team that exemplifies integrity while nurturing excellence, diversity, and innovation
- Develops and prioritizes long-range research directions in collaboration with the RITA Research Leadership Team
- Determines research staffing requirements; provides for interviewing, hiring, and training new employees
- Exceptional leadership and organizational skills, with a strong background in AI/ML.
- Proven experience in research management and collaboration with defense agencies.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral, with the ability to engage effectively with a wide range of stakeholders.
- Familiarity with large-scale, multiyear federal sponsored awards.
- A doctoral degree in a relevant field such as Computer Science, Engineering, or a closely related discipline.
- Extensive experience in AI/ML research, preferably with a focus on applications in defense or related sectors.
- Demonstrated leadership in managing research teams and projects, with a track record of successful collaboration and innovation.
- Ability to gain a security clearance.
- Demonstrated ability to manage large multimillion-dollar federal awards successfully
Resume/CV and cover letter should be included with the online application.
Due to U.S. Export Control laws and regulations, the candidate hired will need to be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident, or other "protected individual" (as defined by 8 U.S.C. Sec. 1324b(a)(3).