Primary Work Address: 518 Clark Hall, Ithaca, NY, 14853 Current HHMI Employees, click here to apply via your Workday account.
We are currently seeking an innovative and self-driven Postdoctoral Associate
to work within the lab of Dr. Michelle Wang,
Professor of Physics, J.G. White Distinguished Professor in the Physical Sciences, and Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI) Investigator at Cornell University
in Ithaca, NY. The Wang lab operates at the intersection of physics and biology - pioneering single-molecule techniques to investigate DNA mechanics and topology of fundamental biological processes and theoretically modeling these processes using statistical mechanics and thermodynamics. More information about the lab, and links to publications, can be found on our website: http://wanglab.lassp.cornell.edu/. About the Postdoctoral Associate position:
The successful candidate will undertake innovative and rigorous research to investigate DNA-based biological processes of the cell. The Wang lab has invented a number of single-molecule manipulation techniques, such as angular optical trap (AOT), DNA unzipping mapper, tracker, and staller, and nanophotonic standing-wave array trap (nSWAT), in conjunction with single-molecule fluorescence. The candidate will have access to these techniques, as well as in vivo techniques that the lab is currently developing. They will be part of a dynamic, collaborative, medium-sized team and have the opportunity to contribute to unique and exciting science! What we provide:
What you bring:
- Being part of a leading lab studying DNA topology in fundamental processes.
- Training in instrument development, single-molecule techniques, molecular biology and biochemistry, and modeling.
- Opportunities for professional development, including authorship of research publications, collaboration with other labs, presentation at conferences, and mentorship experience.
- A competitive compensation package with comprehensive health and welfare benefits.
- Ph.D. in physics, biophysics, applied physics, engineering, or a related field.
- Ability to work both independently and in a collaborative group environment.
- Effective communication skills, self-motivation, and a strong work ethic.
- Excellent organizational skills, time management skills, and attention to detail.
- Proactive approach to research work with an eagerness to learn and grow.
- Proficiency in computer programming and data analysis.
Applicants should submit both their curriculum vitae and a detailed statement on how their experience and interests relate to the lab's work. Physical Requirements
Remaining in a normal seated or standing position for extended periods of time; reaching and grasping by extending hand(s) or arm(s); dexterity to manipulate objects with fingers, for example using a keyboard; communication skills using the spoken word; ability to see and hear within normal parameters; ability to move about workspace. The position requires mobility, including the ability to move materials weighing up to several pounds (such as a laptop computer or tablet).
Persons with disabilities may be able to perform the essential duties of this position with reasonable accommodation. Requests for reasonable accommodation will be evaluated on an individual basis. Please Note:
This job description sets forth the job's principal duties, responsibilities, and requirements; it should not be construed as an exhaustive statement, however. Unless they begin with the word "may," the Essential Duties and Responsibilities described above are "essential functions" of the job, as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act. Compensation and Benefits
Our employees are compensated from a total rewards perspective in many ways for their contributions to our mission, including competitive pay, exceptional health benefits, retirement plans, time off, and a range of recognition and wellness programs. Visit our Benefits at HHMI site to learn more.
$70,000.00 (minimum) - $80,500.00 (midpoint) - $91,000.00 (maximum)
HHMI's salary structure is developed based on relevant job market data. HHMI considers a candidate's education, previous experiences, knowledge, skills and abilities, as well as internal equity when making job offers. Typically, a new hire for this position in this location is compensated between the minimum and the midpoint of the salary range.
HHMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer