Ecological Society of America
1990 M Street NW, Suite 700
Washington, DC 20036
Date: August 2, 2018
Title: Program Assistant
Department: Office of Science Programs
Supervisor: Associate Director of Science Programs
Classification: Full time, Temporary, Non-exempt
The Ecological Society of America, founded in 1915, is the world’s largest community of professional ecologists and a trusted source of ecological knowledge, committed to advancing the understanding of life on Earth. The 9,000 member Society publishes five journals and a membership bulletin and broadly shares ecological information through policy, media outreach, and education initiatives.
About ESA’s Office of Science Programs
We connect the research and management communities, support the use of science to inform decision making, and build capacity among scientists by:
- Training: We offer workshops and courses to help scientists gain the skills they need to navigate changes in funding, policy, and technology.
- Facilitating engagement: We connect ESA members with agencies that require ecological knowledge and expertise.
- Synthesizing information: We help make ecology more accessible to managers and the public.
- Facilitating peer review: We help agencies conduct peer reviews of scientific studies and programs that agencies use to support decision making.
To learn more about our projects, visit https://www.esa.org/esa/science/
Purpose & Responsibilities
ESA seeks an energetic recent college graduate with strong organizational and communication skills to provide administrative and logistical support for a variety of programs in the Office of Science Programs (e.g. ESA’s Sustaining Biological Infrastructure Training Initiative, the Panel on Vegetation Classification, and the Intergovernmental Platform on Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services, or IPBES). A basic background in and appreciation for ecology, biology, and/or environmental sciences is desired.
The program assistant will work with the Associate Director of Science Programs to organize and manage special ESA meetings, workshops, and training events that will bring scientists together on a wide range of topics. Additional duties may include taking notes, updating websites, taking photos and creating promotional materials, and tracking budget information. There may be opportunities to network with scientists in a variety of disciplines and contribute to workshop reports and presentations.
Specific Activities for the Program Assistant
- Organization and planning: assist with meeting and workshop planning to ensure events run smoothly; manage onsite logistical details for events, including a/v, room setup, printed materials, and timekeeping; schedule and manage conference calls for working groups.
- Communications and writing: take effective and concise notes during conference calls and events; contribute to workshop and meeting reports and presentations; liaise with workshop and meeting participants as needed through email, phone, and in person communication; proofread grant proposals and reports.
- Outreach and marketing: create and refine outreach materials for Science Office programs; this may include email campaigns, flyers, website updates, liaising with ESA’s Public Affairs office regarding social media updates, and creating/editing videos.
- Data entry: act as the point of contact for travel reimbursements; monitor and report on travel budgets.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree with a strong interest or experience in environmental studies, ecology, or related field
- Well-organized, detail oriented, and able to handle multiple tasks
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Basic computer skills, including working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel
- Experience with WordPress, Microsoft Publisher, and basic HTML skills a plus
- Willing to perform data-entry and other basic tasks
This is a temporary, full-time position based in ESA’s downtown Washington, DC office, with occasional travel involved. The position is funded from September 1, 2018 to February 28, 2019, with the possibility of extension, and pays $18 per hour. Please email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Program Assistant” in the subject line. Applications are due Monday, August 27th. The position is open until filled.
ESA is an Equal Opportunity employer.