Associate Professor / Professor and Head of Department (One post) - Department of Anatomy
The Faculty of Health Sciences at the University of Pretoria is recognised nationally and internationally as an outstanding institution in terms of its education of health professionals, its research and its clinical service. Furthermore, it is an institution with a tradition of excellence and a proud history. The Department of Anatomy, one of the departments within the School of Medicine in the Faculty, accommodates more than 7000 students per annum and is involved in more than 90 undergraduate and postgraduate modules. Besides being involved in the training of health professionals, it has a vibrant postgraduate research programme with specialisation in Clinical Anatomy, Cell Biology and Histology as well as Skeletal Biology and Physical Anthropology. Successful candidates can obtain a BSc (Hons), MSc and PhD in any of three main research focus areas.
The Faculty is therefore seeking a dynamic leader with a proven record of teaching and research, and with management experience for a permanent appointment at Associate Professor or Professor level and a four-year term as Head of Department (renewable).
The incumbent will be responsible for the Department of Anatomy matching the expectations of the UP 2025 Strategic Plan. This will include:
- The strategic and operational management of the Department;
- Planning and managing the academic and research programmes, and laboratories of the Department;
- Promoting academic excellence in teaching and research;
- Recruiting and managing staff of the Department and promoting their continuous development;
- Managing the Department's budget and raising funds for departmental activities;
- Aligning the vision and programme of the Department with the broader vision of the Faculty and the University;
- Providing and/or facilitating mentorship of young academics in the Department;
- Offering leadership in transformation initiatives;
- Playing an active role as academic leader of the discipline at a national and international level.
- A relevant Doctoral degree;
- 18 accredited publications preferably 50% in ISI journals;
- Registration with the HPCSA;
- Ten years' post-specialisation experience, knowledge of and practical skills in Anatomy;
- Experience in managing academic, research and technical support staff;
- Experience in working in collaborative research teams;
- A significant portfolio of research and evidence of participation in international research and discipline forums;
- A significant track record of original research, including primary and co-authorships of scientific papers, technical reports, policy documents and postgraduate student supervision;
- Previous successful grant applications.
Professor (Same as for Associate Professor, plus):
- 28 accredited publications preferred articles with 60% in ISI journals;
- Ten years' post-specialisation experience, knowledge of and practical skills in Anatomy.
ADDED ADVANTAGES AND PREFERENCES:
- NRF rating.
The annual remuneration package will be commensurate with the incumbent's level of appointment, as determined by UP policy guidelines. UP subscribes to the BESTMED and UMVUZO medical aid schemes and contributes 50% of the applicable monthly premium.
Although candidates will be appointed permanently as Professor or Associate Professor, the headship is a fixed-term appointment of four years. Preference will be given to the incumbent for re-appointment for a second term.
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
ENQUIRIES: Prof C de Jager Tel: (012) 319 2191
Should you not hear from the University of Pretoria by 31 October 2018, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.