Teaching Support Laboratory Technician
Required Knowledge, Skills, Qualifications, Experience
- A good standard of education is required including GCSE (Grade 3 or equivalent), in English, Mathematics and a Science subject preferably microbiology
- Previous experience in a Teaching laboratory environment would be desirable.
- Good organisational skills are essential
- Ability to use own initiative.
- Ability to take direction.
- Ability to communicate effectively is essential.
- Ability to work accurately and pay attention to detail is essential.
- Good IT skills would be desirable.
- Previous experience of team working is essential.
- Previous experience of working to deadlines is essential.
- The post holder must be prepared to be flexible in their working pattern.
- The post holder must be familiar with health and safety requirements.
- Knowledge of good chemical practice, good microbiological practice & aseptic technique is desirable.
- Have a good all round technical knowledge of basic scientific equipment.
- Teaching support
- Provide general laboratory requirements for practical classes. This involves setting up and clearing away equipment, prepare materials & reagents for each practical class as directed.
- A significant amount of manual handling will be required by the post holder.
- To prepare microbiological material for practical classes including the maintenance of the Teaching cultures.
- To check and maintain of centrifuges, calibration of pH meters, & electrodes, spectrophotometers, water baths and microscopes.
- Prepare simple solutions. This requires the use of balances, pH meters, hotplate-stirrers and calibrated glassware/pipettes.
- Printing of labels via computer
- A good standard of computer literacy is essential for the post.
- Simple fault finding/troubleshooting in terms of basic equipment
- Assisting in the preparation of chemical/biological material.
- Health and Safety
- Implementing Health and safety policies and procedures as directed by the Health and Safety/Technical Manager.
- Adhere and support to the safe waste disposal procedures including:
- Preparing and sterilising biological waste
- Safe disposal of broken glass and sharps
- Movement of chemical waste to designated storage area (after seeking conformation that it is safe to do so)
- To promote the safe environment by maintain cleanliness including the following:-
- Equipment: the cleaning and disinfecting lab equipment (may involve disassembly and reassembly) such as static and shaking incubators, centrifuges and balances.
- Infrastructure: the cleaning and disinfecting of (but not limited to) bench tops, up stands, sinks, cupboards, fridges and freezers
- Laboratory Support
- Good standard of literacy is essential for the post.
- Calibration and servicing of pipettes.
- Accurate recording and signing out of equipment and materials for student loan.
- Maintaining paper and computer data base records.
- Sterilisation of media & glassware.
- Washing laboratory glassware by an industrial washing machine (full training will be provided)
- Demonstration & instruction in use of these machines & protocols to other users.
- Liaison with Service engineers and Estates personal
- Operating of washing /drier for laundry of all lab coats throughout the school
- Preparation of Growth Agar & Media for microbial work.
- The post holder must be familiar with the use of autoclaves and must understand and adopt aseptic technique when handling microbiological media.
- Previous microbiological experience would be desirable.
- Collection of goods from stores, replenishing & store laboratory supplies.
- General maintenance of equipment.
- General Laboratory housekeeping
- To undertake any other tasks, across the College of Engineering & Physical Sciences as a whole that might reasonably be asked by the Head of School or Operations Manager (Facilities) and are suitable by way of knowledge and experience, or can be achieved by a programme of re-training. Such tasks might include, but not be limited to, assistance in other laboratories and with School/College Open Days and Outreach events.