Senior Lecturer: Small Animal Surgery - Faculty of Veterinary Science
DEPARTMENT OF COMPANION ANIMAL CLINICAL STUDIES,
SENIOR LECTURER: SMALL ANIMAL SURGERY
In pursuit of the ideals of excellence and diversity, the University of Pretoria wishes to invite applications for the following vacancy.
The University of Pretoria's commitment to quality makes us one of the top research Universities in the country and gives us a competitive advantage in international science and technology development.
The successful candidate will actively participate in the following areas:
- Teaching and practical training of undergraduate and postgraduate veterinary and veterinary nursing students in Small Animal Surgery;
- Clinical service in the Onderstepoort Veterinary Academic Hospital and surrounding community, including participation in a 24-hour service;
- Postgraduate training and supervision where appropriate;
- Research and publications in scientific journals;
- Networking with relevant industry stakeholders;
- Community engagement;
- Administrative and other duties as delegated by the Head of Department;
- Academic self-development.
- A BVSc or BVMCh degree;
- An appropriate MMedVet degree and/or equivalent specialty board certification;
- Registration as a specialist in small animal surgery with the SAVC, or eligibility for immediate registration;
- Demonstrate experience and/or interest in research;
- Three years' general small animal surgery experience;
- At least two peer reviewed publications as first or senior author.
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND BEHAVIOURAL ATTRIBUTES):
- Proven knowledge and competence in veterinary Small Animal Surgery;
- Research interest appropriate to the position;
- Candidates without a PhD: Commitment to obtain further postgraduate qualification in reasonable time;
- Good language and communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills;
- Generic teaching competence including proficiency with presentation, word-processing and spreadsheet software.
ADDED ADVANTAGES AND PREFERENCES:
- Experience with relevant specialised procedures, techniques and tools, e.g. software;
- Tertiary teaching and mentoring experience;
- Exposure to research in an appropriate field.
The annual remuneration package will be commensurate with the incumbent's level of appointment, as determined by UP policy guidelines. UP subscribes to the BESTMED medical aid scheme and contributes 50% of the applicable monthly premium.
Applicants are requested to apply online at www.up.ac.za, and follow the link: Careers@UP.
In applying for this post, please attach:
- A comprehensive CV;
- Certified copies of qualifications;
- Names, e-mail addresses and telephone details of three referees whom we have permission to contact;
- Names and contact details of peer reviewers (academic and research);
CLOSING DATE: 31 October 2018
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
ENQUIRIES: Dr C Boucher, Tel: (012) 529 8135, or e-mail: email@example.com.
Should you not hear from the University of Pretoria by 21 December 2018, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity.
In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference may be given, but is not limited to candidates from under-represented designated groups.
All candidates who comply with the requirements for appointment are invited to apply. All candidates agree to undergo verification of personal credentials.
The University of Pretoria reserves the right to not fill the advertised positions.