PhD : Monitoring and modeling physical weathering of Draix marls and its effect on erosion.
The objective of the project is to study the effect of rock physical weathering and its dynamics on erosion. The study will be based on Draix-Bleone critical zone observatory, which is located on a very erodible marly substrate. A variety of physical processes are responsible for the weathering of marl resulting in the formation of a layer of fragments, called regolith, which can later be mobilized for erosion. The first approach will consist in monitoring at a local scale the characteristic of the regolithe (thickness, grain-size distribution, porosity) and the possible controlling factors (soil temperature and moisture). These measurements will be used to create a 1D model of the seasonal dynamics of regolith. The second approach will be to spatialize and implement this description into a landscape evolution model (Landlab) to simulate the effect of regolith dynamics on catchment-scale erosion. This model will be calibrated based on sediment flux data from Draix observatory then used to test the effect of climatic hypotheses on erosion.
Applicants must have a Masters degree or equivalent qualification when the contract is signed.
More searches like this
- Science Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in France
- Environmental Sciences Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in France
- Physical Sciences and Engineering Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in France
- Physics Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in France
- Social and Behavioral Sciences Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in France