Newsroom Writer - Department of University Relations
DEPARTMENT OF UNIVERSITY RELATIONS
PEROMNES POST LEVEL 8
In pursuit of the ideals of excellence and diversity, the University of Pretoria wishes to invite applications for the following vacancy. The University of Pretoria's commitment to quality makes us one of the top research Universities in the country and gives us a competitive advantage in international science and technology development.
The Newsroom Writer is responsible for researching information, writing, editing and proofreading stories and other copy for use on the University's website, social media channels, brochures and other digital or printed communications. All stories and other writing materials are aimed at furthering the University's value proposition with key stakeholders and positioning the organisation for high visibility with internal and external stakeholders.
- B-degree in Communications, Marketing Communications, Journalism, Languages or related discipline;
- Valid driver's licence;
- At least three years' professional experience writing for print and/or multimedia publications including:
- Copy editing experience, including working knowledge of editing styles;
- Proven mastery of language and grammar;
- Proofreading experience;
- Applied knowledge and experience in MS Word (Advanced level) and PowerPoint, e-mail, HTML, internet, etc.;
- Working knowledge of the special requirements of writing for electronic media such as the angle, use of keywords, hyperlink navigation and the importance of brevity.
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND BEHAVIOURAL ATTRIBUTES):
- Knowledge of the special requirements of a news story, and how to craft a news angle for a story;
- Understanding of photography, photo editing software and image manipulation;
- Understanding of media law and industry codes of conduct;
- Strong interpersonal, organisational and problem-solving skills;
- Excellent editing, spelling, grammar and punctuation skills;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Attention to detail;
- A team player with the necessary confidence to take the lead and guide other departments when necessary;
- Ability to work under pressure without compromising detail and accuracy;
- Ability to work both independently and in a team, and handle simultaneous assignments with success and accuracy;
- Able and willing to work evenings and weekends as required;
- Professional ability, skills and sophistication needed to interact with internal and external stakeholders;
- Innovative, creative and proactive;
- Ability to meet demanding targets within tight deadlines;
- Excellent prioritisation, organisation and time-management skills.
ADDED ADVANTAGES AND PREFERENCES:
- Training related to proofreading or editing;
- Previous experience in a higher education or similar environment;
- Knowledge of and experience in science communication and writing is desirable;
- Previous experience as a reporter and/or subeditor in a fast-paced newspaper, magazine or similar newsroom environment;
- Previous experience in writing for and managing social media publishing on behalf of a medium to large organisation.
PLEASE NOTE: All shortlisted candidates may be required to participate in relevant skills assessments as part of the selection process.
The annual remuneration package will be commensurate with the incumbent's level of appointment, as determined by UP policy guidelines. UP subscribes to the BESTMED and UMVUZO medical aid schemes and contributes 50% of the applicable monthly premium.
In applying for this post, please attach:
- A comprehensive CV;
- Names, e-mail addresses and telephone details of three referees whom we have permission to contact.
CLOSING DATE: 25 March 2019
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
ENQUIRIES: Ms Tebogo Setshedi, Tel: (012) 420 5261
Should you not hear from the University of Pretoria by 31 May 2019, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity. In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference may be given, but is not limited to candidates from under-represented designated groups. All candidates who comply with the requirements for appointment are invited to apply. All candidates agree to undergo verification of personal credentials. The University of Pretoria reserves the right to not fill the advertised positions.
More searches like this
- Science Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in Africa
- Social and Behavioral Sciences Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in Africa
- Communication and Media Studies Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in Africa
- Pharmaceutical Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in Africa
- Sales Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in Africa