University Docent/Tutor in any (inter)disciplinary field
University College Utrecht is looking for an University Docent/Tutor. The successful candidate will be expected to:
- Teach three to four courses a year at all levels in one's field, preferably in ways that be cross-listed with other disciplines;
- Embody and promote inter- and multidisciplinarity in teaching;
- Engage systematically in research, contributing actively to fields of knowledge (research time is 20%);
- Tutor 30-40 students from the time of their entrance to their graduation;
- Contribute to recruitment and admission of students;
- Show an active interest in student life and other college activities.
This is a search for strong talent. Any field will be considered. However, candidates with more than one disciplinary specialization will be of additional interest. Political Science, Law, Economics, Community Engagement/Service Learning and related Social Science fields, too, will be given special scrutiny, given the current demands of the College.
UCU is looking forward to reactions from candidates who possess:
- A PhD at the time of appointment and strong evidence of scholarly activity and achievement;
- A demonstrable affinity with Liberal Arts education;
- Excellent speaking, reading and writing skills in English;
- Exceptional teaching and tutoring qualities;
- An international orientation;
- An ability to work well collegially.
The salary is based on qualifications and experience and will be within the range of €2,709 and €4,978 (scale 10/11 according to the Collective Labour Agreement Dutch Universities) gross per month for a full-time employment. Salaries are supplemented with a holiday bonus of 8 % and a year-end bonus of 8.3 % per year. We offer a pension scheme, (partly paid) parental leave, collective insurance schemes and flexible employment conditions (multiple choice model).
UCU offers an appointment of 0.7 - 1.0 FTE, dependant on specific assignment of work available per field. This position is initially offered for four years as a tenure-track position, and may become permanent thereafter.
The UCU campus is conveniently located in a residential area of Utrecht between the downtown campus and the “Uithof” campus of Utrecht University. Its excellent facilities provide good working conditions.
About the organization
A better future for everyone. This ambition motivates our scientists in executing their leading research and inspiring teaching. At Utrecht University, the various disciplines collaborate intensively towards major societal themes. Our focus is on Dynamics of Youth, Institutions for Open Societies, Life Sciences and Sustainability.
University College Utrecht (UCU) is the international (English language) Honors College of Utrecht University in Liberal Arts and Sciences. It offers students an academic and residential setting in which foundations are laid for their academic and/or professional careers. Among the special characteristics of the College are its small classes and individual attention. It provides an environment that encourages intellectual exchange among students and professors in a friendly and informal atmosphere.
UCU is a selective College of 740 students of a wide range of nationalities. Its three Departments Humanities, Science and Social Science, cover a wide range of fields. About 230 course equivalents are offered yearly by approximately 180 teachers. An important part of the UCU education is the tutorial system providing personal guidance to UCU students.
The college is looking for a diverse range of outstanding teacher-scholars who model excellent teaching. As gifted teachers, they are also actively engaged in research, and seek to bring their knowledge to bear in the classroom. They also see the intensive tutoring students as a natural and welcome extension of their work as teachers.
For more information about this position, please contact prof. James Kennedy via + 31 (0)30 253 99 02 or J.C.Kennedy@uu.nl.
Interested candidates should apply before April 15, 2019. Interviews will take place in May. To apply please include a letter of motivation and curriculum vitae. If possible, include the (email) addresses of a referent, preferably someone you have taught with or for. To apply, please click the apply button below.
Diversity is one of our strategic priorities. Female candidates and/or candidates from an ethnic minority and/or candidates with an international background are encouraged to apply.
The application deadline is 15/04/2019
More searches like this
- Science Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in Netherlands
- Social and Behavioral Sciences Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in Netherlands
- Sociology Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in Netherlands
- Law Academic (e.g. 'Lecturer') £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in Netherlands