Landscape Architect - Department of Facilities Management
PEROMNES POST LEVEL 6
In pursuit of the ideals of excellence and diversity, the University of Pretoria wishes to invite applications for the following vacancy. The University of Pretoria's commitment to quality makes us one of the top research Universities in the country and gives us a competitive advantage in international science and technology development.
The incumbent will be required to deliver a professional service and make a positive contribution to the key objectives of the Department of Facilities Management in terms of landscape architecture and urban design. This will include effectively utilising professional skills and knowledge and taking responsibility for the planning, developing, designing and co-ordinating of a sustainable campus environment. Specific duties will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Landscape/environmental or sports field planning/rehabilitation or upgrading;
- Evaluating development/upgrading proposals;
- Evaluating external designs;
- Executing projects (external contractors);
- Providing expert advice to both internal and external clients.
- Bachelor's degree in Landscape Architecture [BL] (prior to 2004); OR
- Postgraduate professional Masters in Landscape Architecture [ML(Prof)]; OR a Masters in Landscape Architecture by research [ML];
- Professional Registration with the South African Council for the Landscape Architectural Profession (SACLAP), as a professional Landscape Architect [PrLArch].
- Minimum of five years' post professional registration experience in, including;
- The planning, conceptualization, design, documentation, management, maintenance and supervising/monitoring of functional and aesthetic layouts for hard and soft landscaping of built environments in an urban environment;
- Preparing and managing contracts;
- Developing projects, project management and administration, budgeting and budget control;
- Working knowledge of the current South African environmental, heritage and resource legislation;
- Experience in the use of AutoCAD, Revit or compatible draughting programmes, Photoshop, InDesign and SketchUp (desirable) and Microsoft Office;
- Experience with stakeholder engagement (internal management, project and campus services, municipal authorities and private consulting professionals);
- A valid driver's licence.
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND BEHAVIOURAL ATTRIBUTES):
- Technical competencies must include;
- High standards of graphic ability reinforced by excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Project management, time management and organisational skills;
- Interpersonal skills and ability to co-ordinate with professional disciplines;
- Accuracy and organising skills;
- Professionalism and a sense of responsibility;
- Leadership and interpersonal relationship skills;
- Critical thinking;
- Ethical behaviour and social responsibility.
ADDED ADVANTAGES AND PREFERENCES:
- Seven years' working experience working for a landscape architecture, landscaping or urban design firm;
- Knowledge of project management systems, community development and consultation.
The annual remuneration package will be commensurate with the incumbent's level of appointment, as determined by UP policy guidelines. UP subscribes to the BESTMED and UMVUZO medical aid schemes and contributes 50% of the applicable monthly premium.
In applying for this post, please attach:
- A comprehensive CV;
- Names, e-mail addresses and telephone details of three referees whom we have permission to contact.
CLOSING DATE: 26 March 2019
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
ENQUIRIES: Ms D du Preez, Tel: (012) 420 6817
Should you not hear from the University of Pretoria by 31 May 2019, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity. In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference may be given, but is not limited to candidates from under-represented designated groups. All candidates who comply with the requirements for appointment are invited to apply. All candidates agree to undergo verification of personal credentials. The University of Pretoria reserves the right to not fill the advertised positions.